Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New 'craft beer' pub to open in London

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Brodies has a Central London pub in The Old Coffee House so they may well have a few of the specials on offer. Close-ish to Oxford Circus or Piccadilly Circus, so can't really be conveniently added to any of your groups, unfortunately. Brodies is a regular at The Old Fountain, however, so you may strike lucky there, but this is a pub that is usually closed on weekends, so bear that in mind.

Enjoy your trip - I'll be at Craft next Thursday and am thoroughly looking forward to it (although I'm a little concerned at the likely bank balance hit!).
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Cask Pub & Kitchen, Pimlico, used to justify a £3.45 price tag by saying that all cask beers (barring something over, say, 7%) were at least the same price.
    I visited on tuesday to find that they have now adopted the same pricing policy as the new(-ish) sister pub, Craft beer Co, and now charge according to abv, rising sharply from £3.45 (<3.9%) to £3.70 (<4.9%), £3.90 (<5.9%), £4.60 (<6.9%) & up to £6 (>8%).

My Magic High Wire (5.3%) was lovely, but £3.90, ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Cask Pub & Kitchen, Pimlico, used to justify a £3.45 price tag by saying that all cask beers (barring something over, say, 7%) were at least the same price.
    I visited on tuesday to find that they have now adopted the same pricing policy as the new(-ish) sister pub, Craft beer Co, and now charge according to abv, rising sharply from £3.45 (<3.9%) to £3.70 (<4.9%), £3.90 (<5.9%), £4.60 (<6.9%) & up to £6 (>8%).

My Magic High Wire (5.3%) was lovely, but £3.90, ouch!
    Been like that for a few weeks now. I popped in on Tuesday to sample some of the Magic Rock ales after the previous night's 'Meet the Brewer' event. So, while I knew I'd have to pay a premium, Rock Star (7%), while good and very American in style (as advertised), at £5.20 was still somewhat mind-numbing (not too say wallet-emptying). I'll probably have to reserve Cask & Craft for special events only in future.

I think I need to research a few more Central London pubs sourcing interesting micros at reasonable prices. I know about the Harp (and I wish there was more room), but where else can I try?

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    I think I need to research a few more Central London pubs sourcing interesting micros at reasonable prices. I know about the Harp (and I wish there was more room), but where else can I try?
    'Central London', and 'reasonable prices', hardly fit in the same sentence Paul, although the Harp is holding out at a mere £3.30, compared to many neighbours (Coal Hole etc) charging ~£3.60/£3.70.
    Next time you do try the Harp, the Edgar Wallace and the Castle (Furnival St) are walkable options with good choices, but heavy prices (see Coal Hole above). From the Castle it'd be rude not to fit one in at the Mitre (Ye Olde...), and, now you're so near Leather Lane, brace yourself for Craft... or carry on up toward Old Street for the Old Fountain. Southampton Arms would be worth a visit if you've not been, but we're hardly central here...
    I'm currently based on Strand so, if you're doing those nearby, give us a shout!

Strangely, given all the wealthy *ankers and their large bonu$e$, beer prices in proper City of London pubs (as opposed to trrendy bars) tend to be rather cheaper than most of the rest of 'Central London'...

'Central London', and 'reasonable prices', hardly fit in the same sentence Paul, although the Harp is holding out at a mere £3.30, compared to many neighbours (Coal Hole etc) charging ~£3.60/£3.70.
    Well, it's all relative of course and Surrey & Sussex also have a fair few opportunities to spend £3.50 - £3.60 a pint these days. I'm resigned to spending that kind of cash.

Next time you do try the Harp, the Edgar Wallace and the Castle (Furnival St) are walkable options with good choices, but heavy prices
    Tried the Coal Hole (not bad, a good Nicholson's selection) and the Edgar Wallace (bit small and likely to be rammed in the winter I suspect) but never encountered the Castle (but it's on the list now).

From the Castle it'd be rude not to fit one in at the Mitre (Ye Olde...), and, now you're so near Leather Lane, brace yourself for Craft... or carry on up toward Old Street for the Old Fountain. Southampton Arms would be worth a visit if you've not been, but we're hardly central here...
    Tried most of these and the Southampton Arms is certainly serving my kind of beer but not, as you say, that close to the centre.

I'm currently based on Strand so, if you're doing those nearby, give us a shout!
    And I'm in Westminster, so I may do that . Best options this way are The Speaker, but this only offers two guests (yeah, I know, I know!) and the Marquis of Granby would be so much better with a few more bar staff.

Glass Half Empty

And I'm in Westminster, so I may do that .
    I'm mainly working in Fleet Street and Westminster at the moment, so have been doing most of the pubs you mention - I'd be keen to meet up with you guys for a few beers sometime as well.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    I'd be keen to meet up with you guys for a few beers sometime as well.
    I can't see that being a problem....

I can't see that being a problem....
    Me neither!