Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pub of the Month (April 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    My mate went yesterday and tried 25 beers - he was well impressed by the pub. Do you know the date of the next beer festival there?
    I've just noticed the number of beers your mate tried. Even at 1/3 pints that's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    I've just noticed the number of beers your mate tried. Even at 1/3 pints that's impressive.
    I don't even think about trying to keep up with him
    Waes hael!

I'll stay on me own

I don't usually contribute to these, but having just discovered this little gem, I'll make an exception -

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/73655/

It's within cycling distance of the inlaws, so why I haven't been there before I don't know. Some people may take issue with the fact that they only had two beers on, but with their excellent home brew cider to drink, why worry about that? An idyllic and unspoilt country pub.

As I've mentioned on another thread we've been in Belfast for a few days which means that POTM is almost a given.

It has to be the Crown Liquor Saloon. Absolutely stunning interior and they even have the real stuff on 3 handpumps.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/46394/

White's and McHugh's were also very good, but they lose out to the Crown.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I've had an excellent month in terms of ticking off lots of pubs that have been on my 'to do' list for far too long, taking in lots of places that would, in any other circumstances, be dead-certs for pub of the month.

Highlights in Peterbourough were Charters, Coalheavers Arms and the excellent Brewery Tap, whilst two trips to Nottingham included Newshouse, Salutation and Vat and Fiddle. Mason & Taylor in Bethnal Green seems to be a promising, modern bar serving exciting beer and a day walking near Godalming culminated in an evening at the Star, with a rather good Easter beer festival.

However, despite all this stiff competition, one pub stood out from all the others; The Halfway House in Brenchley, Kent. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53015/
    I've already reviewed it, so I won't repeat myself here - suffice to say that this is one of the best country pubs I've ever had the pleasure of spending some time in.

5 new (to me) pubs that stand out from my travels for the month. The Red Lion - Bromley, Rum Puncheon - Gravesend, Mermaid - St Albans, Three Hats - Milton Regis and Dial Arch - Woolwich, all worthy of a return visit at some stage. The Dial Arch has a beer festival in a couple of weeks so it could end being the May candidate. Out of the others I think I'd pick the Red Lion in Bromley, quite a quaint pub in a bit of a good pub backwater and despite being Greene King, they did at least have the 2 less obvious ales (Olde Trip & St Edmunds) and from the pump clips over the bar, an excellent rotation of guest beers. The Three Hats was very close though.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Had a good end of month spate of pub visits as a result of boating from Atherstone to Lichfield and then Burton on Trent before reaching Sandiacre for a cab ride into Derby.
    In any other month ,The Duke of York in Lichfield or The Smithfield in Derby would have strolled off with PoTM but these two outstanding pubs were pipped by Coopers Tavern in Burton,standing defiant infront of the vast towers of the Coors keggery
    If you are visiting this brewery town,I would strongly suggest a diversion to the Coopers,another fine pub in the Joules Brewery stable.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

My POTM is The Reindeer at Overton. A big hearted village local that's starting to attract people from farther afield due to its beer quality. Good honest pub food and Sarah Hughes Mild permanently on draught. On balance, it's probably a good thing it's on the other side of town!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.