Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub of the Month (April 2011)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Pub of the Month (April 2011)

Old thread archived here.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Early nominee, The Golden Guinea.

Arranged to meet Dave for a late lunch yesterday and we decided to the Ostrich Inn so that we could sit in the sun. Went in to order our food at 2:15 only to be informed the kitchen was closed (at 2).

Dave thankfully remembered that the Golden Guinea was round the corner and had a good reputation for RA so we popped up there. In we go and ask about food, yep they have some specials on, so already better than the chain menu we were looking at in the Ostrich. Also had Valour, Alpha Dog and Bristol Steam on (thank goodness for their Tweet to remind me). Dave had a pint of the Valour and some banter for picking a straight glass, and I got the Alpha Dog which was a pleasant pint, that went very nicely with the chilli I ordered.

Friendly service, nice garden/smokers area out back and good drink and pleasant food. Was a struggle to pull myself away and come back to do more work on the site .

An early call which may be beaten yet but it'd have to be by a cracking boozer. The Merchants Inn http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57333/, Rugby has just hosted it's Spring Beer Festival, themed On The Farm. The pub is painted in brown and white cattle pattern outside, the inside has a turfed floor, hay bales and various farming themes and implements around the place. This happens twice a year with different themes and I have seen the pub painted with colourful beach huts outside and a real sandy beach inside for their Rugby by The Sea festival. Up to a hundred beers and ciders are on over the week and entertainment every evening. The pub has a great atmosphere anyway but the beer festivals certainly enhance it. A great boozer.

It looks like my pub of the month will be a three-way tie between the Flask at Hampstead (Youngs), Mitre at Lancaster Gate (Youngs) and White Cross at Richmond (Youngs).

PS - Any connection with my BOTW for w/e 24 April 2011 is purely coincidental...

I'll stay on me own

My pub of the month is the Exeter Arms in Barrowden,this pub is in a small village with nice looking countryside around it and there is also a brewery at the back of the pub and five of their beers on the bar.
    What more could i ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    An early call which may be beaten yet but it'd have to be by a cracking boozer. The Merchants Inn http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57333/, Rugby has just hosted it's Spring Beer Festival, themed On The Farm. The pub is painted in brown and white cattle pattern outside, the inside has a turfed floor, hay bales and various farming themes and implements around the place. This happens twice a year with different themes and I have seen the pub painted with colourful beach huts outside and a real sandy beach inside for their Rugby by The Sea festival. Up to a hundred beers and ciders are on over the week and entertainment every evening. The pub has a great atmosphere anyway but the beer festivals certainly enhance it. A great boozer.
    My mate went yesterday and tried 25 beers - he was well impressed by the pub. Do you know the date of the next beer festival there?
    Waes hael!

So far for me it was the Anchor in Digbeth in Birmingham - I managed to get a cheese and onion cob this time before Quinno nicked the last one from under my nose

The Red Lion in Birchover, Matlock was a good place too - home made pork scratchings!
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    My mate went yesterday and tried 25 beers - he was well impressed by the pub. Do you know the date of the next beer festival there?
    I don't think that they've released the date yet as the current one only finishes today but they're normally in April and October so I'd guess sometime in October. Their website is good and they update it regularly so that's probably the best place to find out. http://www.merchantsinn.co.uk/ I'd recommend a visit if you're anywhere near even without the beer festival as they tend to have 8 or 9 different beers on of varying strength and styles but the beer festivals are worth a special trip.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Their website is good and they update it regularly so that's probably the best place to find out. http://www.merchantsinn.co.uk/ I'd recommend a visit if you're anywhere near even without the beer festival
    If in Rugby, I'd also strongly recommend The Victoria, my fav on the day, when almost all seating at Merchants was 'reserved' for people who may, or may not, have deigned to visit later for the Eng-Fra game.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    If in Rugby, I'd also strongly recommend The Victoria, my fav on the day, when almost all seating at Merchants was 'reserved' for people who may, or may not, have deigned to visit later for the Eng-Fra game.
    I agree about The Vic, a great boozer with quality Atomic beer. Other places worth a look are The Alex, The Raglan, The Squirrel and The London House as well as 2 Wetherspoons so there's no shortage of choice.

The Merchants is still my personal favourite though. Their system for international rugby matches is that to reserve a table you have to buy a 1/2 barrel of Hook Norton (at least) which sits on the table and avoids the necessity of trips to the bar so I suspect that the reserved signs were genuine. Every time I've been in during an international it's been heaving and difficult to find a place to stand never mind sit so may be one to avoid, if you have no interest in rugby, on international days.