Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 17 April 2011)

I've had a bit of a disappointing week really. Lots of well kept beer but very little that made me think "I must have another of those".

However Feral The Runt made it's second appearance at the Regal Moon during the festival and that is going to be my BOTW.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post

Always good to get reacquainted with Titanic ales which have yet to disappoint.
    Seconded. Always try their beers if I spot any. Iceberg and Plum Porter have been previous BOTWs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    .However BOTW goes to the ever reliable Fullers ESB,still a great pint when well kept.
    When I was a student in the eighties, living just round the corner from The Warrington in Maida Vale, I drank virtually nothing else! Fortunately, Ossett and Fullers have a reciprocal trading agreement and so it pops up quite regularly. Agreed it's a great beer when on form.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

When I was a student in the eighties, I drank virtually nothing else!
    Similar experience for me in the late 70's whenever back in London from studying in Brum and searching for decent ale.The other option was any Young's pub, with a Ram Rod and Special if I wanted the same kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Similar experience for me in the late 70's whenever back in London from studying in Brum and searching for decent ale.The other option was any Young's pub, with a Ram Rod and Special if I wanted the same kick.
    Happy days, eh?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Happy days, eh?
    Certainly in terms of the ability to recover from a session,but the choice of ale these days is something I would never have imagined in those days.Are we living in a golden age for beer drinkers ?Shame I have developed lightweight tendencies

I had a cracking session in Nottingham on Saturday which provided most, if not all, of the contenders for this week.

I really enjoyed Nottingham EPA, Castle Rock Elsie Mo and White Rose Spring Hoppiness, but the one beer that stood out from the crowd was the excellent Blue Monkey Ape Ale as tried in the Malt Cross - a spur of the moment addition to the Nottingham crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    the one beer that stood out from the crowd was the excellent Blue Monkey Ape Ale as tried in the Malt Cross
    Couldn't agree more. I've enjoyed all the Blue Monkey beers I've tried but the Ape Ale sampled in The Newsroom in Nottingham last year really stood out. Sadly I haven't seen any since but a forthcoming trip to Derby and Ilkeston will, I hope, change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    but the one beer that stood out from the crowd was the excellent Blue Monkey Ape Ale
    Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I've enjoyed all the Blue Monkey beers I've tried
    When I had Evolution a while ago I became curious about the brewery's name, tried to find out more and became utterly fascinated. Apparently, the name refers to the giant blue flames that lit up the night sky, having been emitted from the blast furnaces of the town's ironworks. Don't know why, but it really appealed to the romantic in me. Ah, heavy industry. Remember that?

I'll stay on me own

When I had Evolution a while ago I became curious about the brewery's name, tried to find out more and became utterly fascinated. Apparently, the name refers to the giant blue flames that lit up the night sky, having been emitted from the blast furnaces of the town's ironworks. Don't know why, but it really appealed to the romantic in me. Ah, heavy industry. Remember that?
    The ironworks were called Stanton iron works,i lived about 2 miles away from them and out of sight of them but when they were pouring the molten iron at night the sky turned orange and the canal that ran past the works was called Stanton hot waters because the water was so warm.

Thatcher got rid of all that in the late 80s.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Ossett and Fullers have a reciprocal trading agreement and so it pops up quite regularly.
    Really? Can't recall seeing much (if any) Ossett around here..