Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pub with accommodation, easily reachable by train from London

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I detect a mini meet up in the making!
    Yep, I could probably make it, note the Flowerpots shuts in afternoon so timing would be critical

It looks like quite a few are interested! Does somebody want to chuck a few possible dates into the hat so we can get booked up! Might be best to start a fresh thread in the meet ups bit.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    note the Flowerpots shuts in afternoon so timing would be critical
    Good point! I can never understand that policy, these days, being applied to the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Good point! I can never understand that policy, these days, being applied to the weekend.
    I think in the case of the Flowerpots, it is in such a rural location, absolutely no passing trade, and I guess very infrequent buses, if at all, plus the drink drive law, there would be little profit in staying open and paying staff

The, not so nearby as it may seem from map, Hinton Arms is somewhat different as it is on an A road, next to a National Trust property, and is more foodie than Flowerpots

It would be a long walk from Hinton Arms to the Flowerpots, and no pavements either, so you could literally be wiped out on a narrow & winding country road with no where to jump, except into the river

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

0.8m, and google satellite suggests a slightly shorter off-road route should be accessible. I'll check the buses (New Alresford route) but think I'd be happy with a cross-country wander in at least one direction (usually downhill).

Looking at my calendar, I will chuck a few dates out for people to juggle with for a possible Winchester meet up...

Saturdays - not too many spare for me - 28 May is OK now that I won't be going to the Champions League Final! . 18 June is also OK at the moment.

Sundays - Most people are probably not too keen to go full day drinking on a Sunday but 29 May would be OK given that there is a Bank Holiday on the Monday.

If anyone would prefer a Friday (as we did for Brum) I am happy to take a day off if necessary in which case any Friday should be OK apart from 6 May and 17 June.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Saturdays not too many spare for me - 28 May is OK now that I won't be going to the Champions League Final! . 18 June is also OK at the moment.
    Sundays - Most people are probably not too keen to go full day drinking on a Sunday but 29 May would be OK given that there is a Bank Holiday on the Monday.

If anyone would prefer a Friday (as we did for Brum) I am happy to take a day off if necessary in which case any Friday should be OK apart from 6 May and 17 June.
    Sats - 28 and 18 both currently open
    Sun - 29 OK

Can be flexible with Fridays...

If it is intended to visit Flowerpots / Hinton Arms then it should be a Friday, rural buses in Hampshire are often few & far between at the best of times, on weekends even less, and some routes just do not run on Sundays, so it is impossible to get to Southwick for example, with it's two excellent pubs, via public transport on a Sunday

Many rural routes are subsidised by Hampshire Council, and in tight times they have vanished

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Sats - 28 and 18 both currently open
    Sun - 29 OK

Can be flexible with Fridays...
    Ditto...although the 28th-29th May would become out of the question in the highly unlikely event that Bournemouth turn around their dismal end of season form and make it to the Play-off final.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Ditto...although the 28th-29th May would become out of the question in the highly unlikely event that Bournemouth turn around their dismal end of season form and make it to the Play-off final.
    No chance, not when you play The Mighty Dale as the last match of the season.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas