Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worcester Sat June 11th

Default Worcester Sat June 11th

I'm organising a shindig from Reading to Worcester in the summer for a day of fun.

The Plough and Little Dragon sound like definites - any other suggestions welcome!

Anyone who fancies turning up on the day, drop me a PM in advance. All welcome. There'll be around half a dozen of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I'm organising a shindig from Reading to Worcester in the summer for a day of fun.

The Plough and Little Dragon sound like definites - any other suggestions welcome!

Anyone who fancies turning up on the day, drop me a PM in advance. All welcome. There'll be around half a dozen of us.
    I must admit to being a little underwhelmed by some of the pubs in Worcester for a city of it's size.

The Plough is absolutely excellent. The Dragon is pretty good as well.

To those I'd add Swan With Two Nicks & Olde Talbot.

The Postal Order is a reasonable JDW and is very handy for the station.

I would also try The Kings Head, especially if it's sunny as it has a canalside patio, although it's no longer a traditional pub. If you like quirky, just across the road is the Hand In Glove. Modern bar but with well kept ale.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post

My last visit to Worcester was a bit of a disaster on the pub front, as an anticipated six days on my own, to explore, was unexpectedly chopped to two. I took loads of photos whilst the forecast was good, but never got the chance to follow them up with visits.

Casting self pity aside, both The Plough and The Dragon are givens. The Firefly on Lowesmoor was on my 'to do' list - GBG entry. Also, The Paul Pry has re-opened, selling cask ale and is supposed to have a fantastic interior. Nearby, The Angel also has several cask beers including Wye Valley HPA. The Cricketers has dipped in and out of the GBG over the years and I enjoyed the interior. However it's reported to have changed hands recently. Had four pumps when I called, quality OK.

Doubt that I'll make it, unless by some fluke, but enjoy.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Never been there but the day is free at the moment and it is certainly do-able. Will put some thoughts to it and let you know.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

This place is pretty good http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42536/ 5 ales on 3 from Marstons/Banks and 2 local brews , not much to look at from the front but the back overlooks the river and racecourse and over to the Cathederal although it may be a bit far out on a day trip .

I may be able to make it £14 on the train but nearly 2 hours travelling each way
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    may be able to make it £14 on the train but nearly 2 hours travelling each way
    Only 2! Nearly 4 hours each way from the Garden of England!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Yeah I'm lucky to have a train that goes from Reading to Worcester via Oxford. Otherwise it wouldn't be tenable!

Thanks all for your suggestions so far, I will add them to the longlist and whittle it down this evening.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Any considering travelling from Londinium, and I wouldn't rule myself out, should take note of groupsave opportunities on the direct train from Paddington (2hrs27), making it £18.50 instead of £37pp on a 4-for-2 basis.
    Nearer the day, it might not be impossible to get a good deal to Brum (as was available for the PG trip there) then a £3.80(!)pp groupsave onward journey (41 mins from New St)...
    Only a couple of pubs I have on the mission list there, mentioned above, but seem stellar targets.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    The daft thing is , its less than an hour by car from up here
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

For an interesting diversion I'd suggest a visit to the Cardinal's Hat. It's fairly close to the Plough but on the other side of the High Street, near the Olde Talbot that ROBCamra mentioned. Quirky little place, an Austrian bar selling continental beers. Nice cosy interior but perhaps not one to do mob handed when everyone has had loads of beer. Enjoy the day.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.