Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: My future pub crawls

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Just read your review.. I'll say nothing about that pub till I actually visited it (Iam protecting good name of Wetherspoon )

I remember I went to pub opposite Bilston Town's old ground called Queens Street ground in 2001 (It was against RC Warwick). It is called The Prince of Wales.. very down to earth pub, single roomed and wooden floor something you will find it in 1970's pub
    I know of it, just not got to it, yet!
    MILD:

Default 2010 Crawls

After talking to Soup Dragon and Ale & Hearty we think our first crawl of 2010 will be the Valley of Beer in Sheffield, probably meeting at the new bar on the station (see this or this) , warning it sells Thornbridge, then getting a tram up to the Hillsborough and staggering down the valley from there.

We haven't discussed dates yet but anyone who fancies this famous crawl please stick in your ideas and preferences. Remember Sheffield is only just over 2 hours from St Pancras, or an hour and a quarter from New Street.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    It really does surprise me that Ludlow has so few reviews and photographs.
    I was in Ludlow for a quick jaunt around town recently. I only went in the Church Inn for a pint but I did take a few pub snaps that have now been added to this site.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    After talking to Soup Dragon and Ale & Hearty we think our first crawl of 2010 will be the Valley of Beer in Sheffield, probably meeting at the new bar on the station (see this or this) , warning it sells Thornbridge, then getting a tram up to the Hillsborough and staggering down the valley from there.

We haven't discussed dates yet but anyone who fancies this famous crawl please stick in your ideas and preferences. Remember Sheffield is only just over 2 hours from St Pancras, or an hour and a quarter from New Street.
    Sheffield is high on my list of beer cities to visit. I have done the Kelham Island, Fat Cat and Bath Hotel but little else. I'm not sure a day trip would do the place justice and £60 for a return train ticket is a bit beyond my budget. It is my intention to do Sheffield in one big binge over a long weekend at some time in the future, preferably with a bit of footy or a gig thrown in for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Sheffield is high on my list of beer cities to visit. I have done the Kelham Island, Fat Cat and Bath Hotel but little else. I'm not sure a day trip would do the place justice and £60 for a return train ticket is a bit beyond my budget. It is my intention to do Sheffield in one big binge over a long weekend at some time in the future, preferably with a bit of footy or a gig thrown in for good measure.
    £60 ouch Let us northerners know when you are coming up, can't have you drinking alone.

Default Dudley Pub Crawl

Dudley:
    Get around by Bus http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/bus/busindex.aspx for bus route maps, travelcard prices and timetables

of if there is a crowd, by minibus company will do a tailored tour http://www.bathams.co.uk/news.php#tours

Pubs with their own brewery:

Sarah Hughes Brewery at the Beacon Hotel in Sedgley - charming Victorian interior. Closes in the afternoon though so you might want to start here. 558 bus runs between Wolverhampton and Dudley centres via Sedgley (20 mins) or 223/224/229 from Bilston bus/metro station
    Old Swan Brewery at the Old Swan (Ma Pardoes) in Netherton - not to be missed. Take a look around the inside.
    Batham's - brewed at the Vine in Brierley Hill. Pub with character but not the most consistent pint, ironically. Best Batham's beer award goes to the Unicorn in Wollaston near Stourbridge
    Sadlers Ales brewed at the Windsor Castle in Lye - as seen on TV. 150 yards from Lye train station

Other places worth a visit:
    The Crooked House in Himley (now selling cask ales, sadly not on a bus route, worth seeing though),
    The Old Bull's Head in Lower Gornal (home of Black Country Ales?),
    Mad O'Rourkes Steak and Pie Factory in Lower Gornal,
    Jolly Crispin in Upper Gornal (Free House within short walking distance of the Britannia, a Batham's pub with an interesting back room),
    The Court House in Dudley (next to the police station, 100 yards from Dudley Bus Station)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Andy,

Nice to see you on the forum.

You will know me and Dave run the site from all the corrections you have done. If you have any problems queries or suggestions for improvement of any of Pubs Galore please do let us know.

Thanks a lot for that information and especially for all your contributions over the years, hope to see you some more on the forums

Conrad

Default Dudley - I have recently crawled

Let me give you some pointers. Bus route maps, bus timetables and one-day travelcard prices can be found at http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/bus/busindex.aspx

Pubs with on-site Brewery:

Park Inn in Woodsetton. Home of the Holden's Brewery
    Beacon Hotel in Sedgley (558 bus runs 8 times per hour between Wolverhampton and Dudley via Sedgley taking around 20 minutes or catch the 223/224/229 from Bilston bus/metro station). Home of the Sarah Hughes Brewery. Characterful pub inside. Closes during the afternoon so probably better to start here before moving on.
    Old Swan in Netherton. Home of the Old Swan Brewery. Pub also known as Ma Pardoes. Not to be missed, take a look around inside. Mighty fine pint of Entire.
    The Vine in Brierley Hill (also known locally as the Bull 'n' Bladder). Home of Batham's Brewery but, ironically, the quality of the beer can be inconsistent. Unofficial best Batham's award goes to the Unicorn in Wollaston near Stourbridge.
    The Windsor Castle in Lye. Home of the Windsor Castle Brewery making Sadlers Ales. 200 yards from Lye Railway Station with a direct link to Snow Hill and Moor Street stations in Birmingham city centre.

Other worthy venues:

You might also want to pay a visit to The Crooked House in Himley (only recently started selling cask ales and you might feel drunk on the way in due to the lopsided nature of the building. Sadly not on a bus route); The Jolly Crispin in Upper Gornal and within walking distance of that the Britannia (another Batham's pub but worth seeing its back room); The Court House in Dudley town centre (next to the police station or 100 yards from the bus station).

An alternative way of getting around if there is a group of you is to use http://www.theme-tours.co.uk/ who will drive you on a tour of Batham's pubs or to your own choice of pubs as part of your own customised crawl

Ah! There's my earlier post! So good I said it twice!
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 21-02-2010 at 17:46. Reason: Couldn't find yesterday's post so I said it again

Cheers. Pubs and pub photos are worth documenting and saving.....
    "When you have lost your inns drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England"

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

hi Andy

I have seen your 'local' work and it is nice to see you on the forum. I did Gornal again yesterday, so a few more reports to write!
    MILD: