Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: My future pub crawls

Cheers. At the time of my initial look at Walsall on PuG there were quite a few gaps so I made it my mission to do my bit to put my hometown on the map and to show what it has to offer - with places like the Pretty Bricks, Walsall Arms and White Lion in mind in particular. I'd previously submitted photos to BitE but they were too slow in responding so I gave up on them. I actually enjoyed doing it and it was more rewarding to see instant results on PuG.

It's also amazing how we can take things for granted yet look back at photos from only 25 years ago to realise how things change in a relatively short space of time and are gone forever - rather like my taste for lager!

Although Walsall has some good pubs, I think that the Royal Borough of Dudley is in a different league, especially if you look at the places I listed above. I had to go back to Ma Pardoes yesterday and buy some of their real ale in a bottle, I couldn't resist.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I did Gornal again on Sunday, but nothing on the list for a few days - not fair - mind you, i have about 15 reports still to write
    MILD:

Mrs B informs me that 2 of her work colleagues fancy a pub crawl of St Albans next Saturday (13th) which I am naturally happy to organise. She is even shelling out for a Travel Lodge so she is clearly expecting me to lead them on a good run. Luckily Spurs game is early k.o. so plenty of time to squeeze in a good 15 pubs at least. I hope they know what they have let themselves in for.

Fifteen pubs ? Your hoping ! Once they find somewhere comfortable sit , get settled and chatting I doubt if they will want to shift. That leaves you starring at some twigs and a painting . You may be able to tactfully excuse yourself and continue solo if lucky. Sounds like a case of where angels fear to tread myself

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I hope they know what they have let themselves in for.
    They have no idea! Who are these pretenders venturing forth & submitting to the RogerB endurance test?
    I notice that connections from StA to London, & back out to Dartford, are still pretty frequent later in the evening, so the booking of a hotel sounds like even direr consequences for your tour group. I hope they've booked the Monday off too.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    so the booking of a hotel sounds like even direr consequences for your tour group
    Aah. I see. Your lot are at home, so will be you'll be at whl beforehand, therefore not reaching StA until later in the afternoon; so the hotel provides cover for getting those extra few pints in at the end of the day. Dedication to the cause...

The Travelodge element also means we don't have to include either of the 2 'Spoons on the crawl as we can do them both for breakfast the next day before the pubs open.

good 15 pubs at least.
    I hope your livers will not do George Best

My record stands at 18 pubs in single day.

Now I tend to visit 6 to 10 pubs as cost of beer rising..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

The Travelodge element also means we don't have to include either of the 2 'Spoons on the crawl as we can do them both for breakfast the next day before the pubs open.
    Hehehe, tactics, old son, tactics!

Ok, I'm not going to open a new thread but feel I should briefly report on the aftermath of the Reading tour on Saturday. There were 9 pubs and a couple of jokers (2-pinters) and, back at the station, the Three Guineas was revisited. Hello to resident Reading expert Quinno, who tagged along part of the way.

The honourable Ealing member was travelling separately, on the slow train, but woke up at Paddington anyway.

Your correspondent, after a debrief at Paddington's Mad Bishop & Bear, missed his last train Victoria to West Norwood, so aimed for Herne Hill then a bus. He failed to stay awake for the 8mins it takes to Herne Hill and woke up at Orpington with no train back. Nightbus to the Elephant was followed by a very long and cold wait for another bus to get him home, eventually making it at 03:02am. I'm too old for this stuff.

But the prize for best 'overshoot of the day' goes to our very own Two-Pies-Chas, who was travelling in the opposite direction to Bristol, but woke up in Exeter. Quality! The jury is still out on how much the taxi back really cost...
    Last edited by trainman; 08-03-2010 at 06:41.