Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salisbury City Centre

Default Salisbury City Centre

I see that the pubs in Salisbury City Centre have been placed into a new area called "Salisbury Town". At risk of being pedantic, Salisbury is a city, so if this new area is required (I'm not convinced it is as it isn't that large a city, and an unqualified "Salisbury" should suffice to differentiate it from the suburbs of Harnham and Laverstock) it ought really to be called "City Centre".

On balance, though, I think it is easier not to have the Centre area at all as it probably excludes various SP1/SP2 postciode areas which don't really have their own names (unless we start using descriptors such as "Wilton Road Area", "Old Sarum Area", "Station Area" etc which would, in their turn, cause their own confusions (overlaps, single-pub areas etc).

No offence intended to the person who made the placements, and I won't lose sleep over it - it's just that they don't really add any value and possibly detract fom the peripheral pubs.

Salisbury "town" is pretty hideous as a name as well as being incorrect, but I think there is a need to distinguish the city centre pubs from those further out. By city centre I would mean those within Churchill Way plus the Winchester Gate, on the west only as far as the Village, and no further south than the Cathedral (St Ann St), as these are comfortable walking distance of the centre. The only place I see a problem with names is for the Dust Hole, what do they call that bit with the out of town stores along the A36?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    By city centre I would mean those within Churchill Way plus the Winchester Gate, on the west only as far as the Village, and no further south than the Cathedral (St Ann St), as these are comfortable walking distance of the centre. The only place I see a problem with names is for the Dust Hole, what do they call that bit with the out of town stores along the A36?
    Again, where do you draw the line? I don't think The Dust Hole's area really has a name - "Down Near The Plumbing Warehouse" doesn't seem to work, while its SP1 postcode puts it in the City Centre as far as the Post Office is concerned. To the North there is the Duke of York (if it reopens) which is 2 mins' walk from the station which, although it has a SP2 postcode, should be included on the comfortable walk criterion although technically it could be placed in St Paul's. I suppose if the peripheral pubs were just in "Salisbury" it wouldn't make too much difference, though.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Speaking for myself I don't really care and think I have made this clear throughout the forum, the idea of the areas was that I was going to stop dealing with the sort of pedantry that a number of people have with 'the correct area'.

Is a city not a town then? I think we qualify under descriptions 2 & 3 in the that minor University towns dictionary that I believe defines the Queens English - as far as I can tell we have not called it Salisbury Market Town (by Royal Charter)?

Dave may be in later as he has agreed to deal with these to save any remaining sanity I may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Speaking for myself I don't really care and think I have made this clear throughout the forum, the idea of the areas was that I was going to stop dealing with the sort of pedantry that a number of people have with 'the correct area'.
    Isn't this why you decided on the more neutral term "central" ?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Isn't this why you decided on the more neutral term "central" ?
    It is the exact reason I wanted that, and I backed down un-diplomatically because there was a passionate case made that this looked wrong. Dave then said he had no problem with a bit of slip and we should use the generic term town rather than become obsessed with what was a town, village or city.

I think that brings us to this

I suppose the proper answer from me is that you can both remove and add areas, if you have doubts maybe chuck it in the request forum instead, because I think if I have to keep checking Wikipedia to see what is a town/city/village/hamlet/ward/conurbation/made-up then I will just give up.

I think even Dave is staying away from this one.

I'll stay on me own

My apologies ETA and Old Boots,

I forgot that Salisbury was a cathedral city.

All the pubs i put in the town area was what i thought pretty much in the centre of the Town whoops sorry City but if you want to correct me i have no problem with that.

I have been putting a lot of pubs in different parts of the country into the areas i think are correct as i think this makes the lists look a lot better and easier to locate pubs.

Please check the rest of Wiltshire as i have now almost completed this county and i would'nt like there to be any more mistakes.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    My apologies ETA and Old Boots,

I forgot that Salisbury was a cathedral city.

All the pubs i put in the town area was what i thought pretty much in the centre of the Town whoops sorry City but if you want to correct me i have no problem with that.

I have been putting a lot of pubs in different parts of the country into the areas i think are correct as i think this makes the lists look a lot better and easier to locate pubs.

Please check the rest of Wiltshire as i have now almost completed this county and i would'nt like there to be any more mistakes.

Alan
    No need to apologise, you seem to have done a good job and got most of the city centre pubs into the Town area, I would add a couple more and rename it "central".

The main difficulty is what to call some areas so that they're easy to find especially by people who don't know a place. I wouldn't want someone to think, for example, that a pub in Old Sarum is easy to get to from the station. My thought is that one of the reasons for this exercise is to be more user friendly.

No need to apologise, you seem to have done a good job and got most of the city centre pubs into the Town area.
    Agreed - thanks for the work, Al

The main difficulty is what to call some areas so that they're easy to find especially by people who don't know a place. I wouldn't want someone to think, for example, that a pub in Old Sarum is easy to get to from the station. My thought is that one of the reasons for this exercise is to be more user friendly.
    One useful feature I remember from another site was a box which gave the distance to the nearest railway station. That is always a good guide for pedestrians (provided there isn't a river or airpor runway in the way). But I agree - ease of use is a good test.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

You can ask for the name to be changed if you disagree with it, I would suggest either in the Completed Site Release thread. That way those concerned are more likely to see it. Please don't ask me for an opinion though, my opinion as oldboots said is that we should just have gone with Central. If the name is misspelt just tell me here and I will correct it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    One useful feature I remember from another site was a box which gave the distance to the nearest railway station. That is always a good guide for pedestrians (provided there isn't a river or airpor runway in the way). But I agree - ease of use is a good test.
    This was requested a few times back when main jumped onto our site and I really didn't get the use of it. I am still not really sure I do, but regardless, it is near the top of my todo list to get something basic out to do this - so you never know.