Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tokyo Black now banned in UK

Default Tokyo Black now banned in UK

Daily Mail (Last Thursday) reports that Toyko Black will not allowed to sell in UK after complaints by drink aware plus few anti alcohol supports that it promotes binge drinking and its hign proof.

Penguin is next?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I had to Google it as never heard of it, high proof my ar5e,"only" 5% abv according to my Google, many domestic beers beat that hands down

Still as you report a campaign by anti booze folk easily triggers knee jerk by government

Next thing they will be banning Soylent Green

I think the story meant is this one

Morning Advertiser Story

In a nut shell the Portman Group, would be nemisis of the lads at Brewdog , wish to ban BrewDog Tokyo, an 18.2% abv imperial stout which sells at £10 a 330ml bottle because amongst other things it might promote binge drinking. I can just see the cider and wife beater drinkers switching from £10 for 24 cans to £10 for a small bottle, the words "touch" "with reality" and "out of" spring to mind .

Ban the Portman Group I say

Daily Mail ? I wouldn't wipe my A*** with it
    Last edited by oldboots; 06-12-2009 at 15:26. Reason: Abuse the Daily Mail

Sorry but it appears that the linky is broken

sorry, try this one

Tokyo

Try Beer of The Week thread, page twoentry #19. 03/12/09.
    Some old F**t called Arwkrite heard about it on radio4. Mind you it was early in the morning and he is given to conversing with Pixies in the early hours.Farway knew of something even stronger, brewed by penguins and used used as a nuclear torpedo, I think. Have alook yourselves, someone may make sense of it.

PS I like The Daily Mail Cryptic Crossword and Garfield . The rest of it your welcome to.
    Last edited by arwkrite; 06-12-2009 at 18:21.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Try Beer of The Week thread, page twoentry #19. 03/12/09.
    Some old F**t called Arwkrite heard about it on radio4.

PS I like The Daily Mail Cryptic Crossword and Garfield . The rest of it your welcome to.
    Ah yes I knew I'd seen something about it before, well spotted Arkwrite.

I'd trust good old R4 over that ugly rag anytime, Garfield is good but I've given up on crosswords - I think my brain stopped being cryptic a while ago.

BTW it's only on page 2 if you display in "oldest first" order but the entry number stays the same so it can be easily found that way.

I use the radio and radio based internet sources for news. Newspapers are slow. Thinking they can charge for looking at online copies is way behind the times. Just like the music industry, newspaper owners cannot recognise the fact things have changed and they no longer call the shots.

I doubt if exports of this beer will be banned so it will make its way back in the country somehow. If the illegal imports of it match the rate of illegal immigration then it could become a top selling bottled beer. psst want a bottle?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Ed seemed to imply they couldn't ban it anyway. Not sure what exactly he was saying there as it may now be someone else trying to ban it, but clearly it is just great marketing as it has appeared all over the press.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Ban the Portman Group I say

Daily Mail ? I wouldn't wipe my A*** with it
    Quite agree about the Portman Group. Duplicitous is the word that springs to mind. All that guff about raising the standards of alcohol marketing is just a smokescreen to protect the interests of the large drinks companies. These strong beers are a godsend for them, enabling them to get on their moral high horse and deflect interest away from the real problems. (Remember the outrage around Orkney's 'Skullsplitter' in September 2008?)

I wouldn't even give The Daily Mail to someone else to wipe their a*** with. Distilled essence of middle England bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I've given up on crosswords - I think my brain stopped being cryptic a while ago.
    Maybe you need to do crosswords to stop your brain giving up?
    Finished my first ever Times Jumbo Cryptic in the Weekend section last week. Pleased as Punch I was.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 08-12-2009 at 10:40. Reason: Amend grammatical error.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.