Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sutton Coldfield - Erdington pub crawl (P1)

Default Sutton Coldfield - Erdington pub crawl (P1)

Are you readdddyyyy for my epic pub crawl which I went last Monday??

Ok here we go..

Caught no. 110 bus from Tamworth to Sutton Coldfield. Had a quick brekkie and coffee at The Bottle of Sack to get myself refresh and plotted out the routes with pubs on the way to Erdington. I set off my epic pub crawl..

Horse and Jockey, Sutton Coldfield

As soon doors opened I went in. Typical Ember Inn with two roaring fires in either side of the room. Nothing special about this, same with all other Ember Inns. Had bottle of Brothers Toffee Cider which is outstanding!

After 5 to 10 mins walk..

Sutton Park, Boldmere

Pub on very busy junction (Major road between Sutton and West Bromwich). It is Sizzling Pub Company owned. As I went in, the smell of burnt steak hits me. This pub mainly with elderly clientele. L shaped room with Chesterfield sofas around the room. Had Half pint of 6X which is decent.

few mins down..

Bishop Vesey

Easily one of smallest Wetherspoon I have visited. Nothing special except nice looking conservatory at the back. Mordue's Newcastle Coffee Porter was highlight of the day. I wanted to stay at this pub all day but there is countless pubs await me my arrival.. Off to next door..

Boldmere

Harvester owned. I must say I detest Harvester pubs but I had go in to have a look and another pub ticked off.. Very homely and cosy but shocking prices spoiled my stay at Boldmere.. £1.45 for half Brew XI!! I had good chuckle as Drunken man trying to light his fag outside and somehow managed. It was only 1.45pm!

I had Boldmere Oak as my next destination..

Then disaster struck...

Part two coming up...

Default Part 2

As I was walking down Boldmere knowing it will be good 15 mins to next pub, Suddenly I need toilet to empty already full bladder. So I briskly walk... Boy I was relived when Boldmere Oak is in my sights.

Horror Horror!! It was closed!!! Arggghhh.. Blind panic sets in. By the time I was desperately need to wee! Luckily knowing there is pub nearby. I ran and ran and ran... good 10 mins or so. I was running like that bloke Bolt off athletics.

Finally The Yenton, Wylde Green was in front of me, I simply ignored the barman and went straight to toliet. Emptied good 2 or 3 pints worth. Had half pint of Brew XI which is average. It was packed and load of people eating. I only stayed there for 5 mins before setting off to Erdington.

Another 20 mins walk.. Passed old pub The Star Member pub being dismantled. I am glad to see it go because it was eyesore!

The Cross Key, Erdington was to be my next pub but wont reopen till 5pm so off to town.. (also passed The New Inns which is closed too)

The Acorns, Erdington

(Soupy you will love this pub.. Honest!) Looks nice outside so I went in.. Imagine the scene from Wild West film, Outlaw open swinging doors then drinkers suddenly turn their head and set eyes on you. Some nervously reaching out their gun just in case there is shoot out breaks out.
    Thats how I felt when I set foot in pub.. I sensed they dont like outsiders so I quickly ordered half Brew XI and sat in corner very quietly. The room was bare with just wooden table and chairs (Plus pool table) Wooden floor look it hasnt been swept for years. Chavs and drunks seems the order of the day in this pub. I quickly finished my drink..

Then off to The Charlie Hall..

Part 3 next..

Default Part 3

I need good stiff drink after my experience with previous pub. I was very very happy when I saw familar sign hanging out.. "J.D WETHERSPOON" As some of you know Iam big fan of Wetherspoon.

THE CHARLIE HALL, EDRINGTON

Wow... quite contrast to Bishop Vesey. One word I can say is.. HUGE! I was informed that this pub used be bingo hall and I can see why. High celling and very airy. I was waiting on the bar for order and suddenly my eye caught "CHOCOLATE PORTER" writing on hand pull. Waheeeeyyy!! So For the first time I ordered pint instead of half! Allowed myself relaxing on huge sofa and chatted with one of locals (I must say I couldnt understand as they were drunk!)

Oh yeah I must tell you, man was waiting for his drink at bar when his turn came...

Man: Smuffff!
    Barmaid: Eh? Come again please
    Man: Smuffffffff
    Barmaid: What? I cant understand
    Man: Oh f*** it!!! VODKA!!! Make it double, love!

He was talking about Smirnoff Vodka! But it was in good natured way. No trouble. Sadly I wave goodbye to chocolate porter....

The Swan

It was 3.30pm and it is getting dark so I popped in The Swan. It is like Tardis! Small outside and huge inside! Very similar to The Acorn but much better. Plenty of drunks and Chavs screaming their voices out. As I went insdie, man passed me and tripped over. Applause breaks out! Seems this is very close knit community and people knows each other. I had half pint of Brew XI. People here love their horse racing and giving each other tips.

Then I decided go to train station.. Bought single to Lichfield.

Had a pint and hearty meal at Bowling Green, Lichfield then had pint in each these pubs..

Earl of Lichfield, Acorn (Wetherspoon) and George VI

Caught No. 765 bus back to my hometown, Tamworth..

Jesus I must be getting drunk by this time (9pm) had pint at Red Lion and Tame Otter Both in Hopwas.

Finally... Two more pints and two Southern Comforts at The Fox, Hopwas

I thank you all for your time reading my epic pub crawl!!

Hoppy

Sounds like a grand day out, Hopwas. That's certainly drinking on an heroic scale. I salute your stamina and my commiserations to your liver.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just to say, thanks for posting this, I did enjoy it, just couldn't think of anything intelligent to add

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Isnt it the George IV???

A good read, Squire

I will start to add a few of my tours on if there is sufficient interest
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I will start to add a few of my tours on if there is sufficient interest
    Definitely, I am also interested in why people are not using the Crawl function on PG?

I am interested in if we can improve it or it is just something people aren't interested in?

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I dont tend to think of it, as people have their own view of a pub, so i do my reviews and leave them to sort out where they go!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Definitely, I am also interested in why people are not using the Crawl function on PG?

I am interested in if we can improve it or it is just something people aren't interested in?
    Hmm... Never seen it.

Honestly All I am interested in is checking out reviews, photographs and forum.

I guess it is something you may need to address it, try to improve it and more catchy rather than just box with "pub crawl"

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Isnt it the George IV???
    Pardon me! I do mean GEORGE IV I dont know why I put VI instead of IV! Good catch by the way.

I'll go and sit in corner wearing "D" hat.. cos I know every pub in Lichfield by heart.