Ads not shown when logged in
Page 90 of 146 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Default New pubs and closures

I thought I would give a summary of how thinks are looking.
    There are no definite new opening until next summer in Eire. One is a big Dublin hotel that I think has been mentioned before and the other is Carlow which is roughly an hour South of Dublin on the Waterford train from Dublin's Heuston Station.

The closures are finally fizzling out with only three on the CBRE disposal list not already closed. These are all in London; the Milan Bar Croydon, the White Lion Of Mortimer in Mitcham and the Crown & Sceptre at the top of Brixton Hill. The Edmund Halley in Lee SE12 is threatened due to redevelopment plans and the Mardi Gras in the Trafforf Shopping Centre in Manchester is under threat because of a huge rent rise.

Their are planning applications for a whole raft of existing outlets to become apart of their chain of hotels. There are also a few applications to expand existing hotels. Generally new hotels involve using space above the existing pub or building something new on a car park or vacant land.

Has anyone used their hotels apart from me? They are generally more expensive than advance bookings in a Travelodge or Premier Inn. This week I booked three nights at the Wigan Premier Inn for only £90.00 next February. I haven't stayed at many of them (maybe half a dozen) but the one I really liked is the Camborne one in Cornwall

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I thought I would give a summary of how thinks are looking.
    There are no definite new opening until next summer in Eire. One is a big Dublin hotel that I think has been mentioned before and the other is Carlow which is roughly an hour South of Dublin on the Waterford train from Dublin's Heuston Station.

The closures are finally fizzling out with only three on the CBRE disposal list not already closed. These are all in London; the Milan Bar Croydon, the White Lion Of Mortimer in Mitcham and the Crown & Sceptre at the top of Brixton Hill. The Edmund Halley in Lee SE12 is threatened due to redevelopment plans and the Mardi Gras in the Trafforf Shopping Centre in Manchester is under threat because of a huge rent rise.

Their are planning applications for a whole raft of existing outlets to become apart of their chain of hotels. There are also a few applications to expand existing hotels. Generally new hotels involve using space above the existing pub or building something new on a car park or vacant land.

Has anyone used their hotels apart from me? They are generally more expensive than advance bookings in a Travelodge or Premier Inn. This week I booked three nights at the Wigan Premier Inn for only £90.00 next February. I haven't stayed at many of them (maybe half a dozen) but the one I really liked is the Camborne one in Cornwall
    After having a disastrous meal in Windsor Mcspoons it took me 5 years or so to get my wife into another one in Weymouth .YEP another disaster so the chance of me using one of their hotels is about nil.

Stayed at The Bottle Kiln in Dovercourt last week which I thought was reasonable value (and more comparable to a Premier Inn than a Travelodge in terms of the room).

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    After having a disastrous meal in Windsor Mcspoons it took me 5 years or so to get my wife into another one in Weymouth .YEP another disaster so the chance of me using one of their hotels is about nil.
    I wonder what peoples expectations are from Wetherspoon food. It's basic pub grub and you will get better elsewhere but it will cost you more especially compared to the weekday clubs which include a drink.
    The hotels are no better or worse than the budget chains the only real difference being that you get biscuits. I stayed at the Brecon one which claims to have an all night reception but as it's only got a few rooms I wonder if that is the case. It's not a hotel but a Spoons with a few rooms to let as is the Rochester one. The ones that are based above a Lloyds (Henley and Newport spring to mind) are a joke as they are based above a late running night club at weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Stayed at The Bottle Kiln in Dovercourt last week which I thought was reasonable value (and more comparable to a Premier Inn than a Travelodge in terms of the room).
    I prefer Premier to Travelodge simply because of those horrible plastic bucket seats in Travelodge. Apart from that I can't really see much difference.

I wonder what peoples expectations are from Wetherspoon food. It's basic pub grub and you will get better elsewhere but it will cost you more especially compared to the weekday clubs which include a drink.
    I don't see how the food can vary since it near all comes from the same suppliers wherever you are, and even the Scottish, Welsh and Irish variants are standardised as far I am know. Service is pretty efficient in most places too, and if you are advised of a wait I think they must add five minutes as a policy since it usually seems to come quicker than stated. I've only had a problem on a very small number of occasions, and if you are looking for a quick, cheap and (mostly) reliable meal then it's hard to beat a 'spoons in my experience.

This Space For Hire

Has anyone used their hotels apart from me?
    Yes I've stayed at The Duke of Wellington (JD Wetherspoon) in Minehead on 17/06/2017. Fine apart from Butlins 80's weekend and idiots everywhere but got given room away from main area of the noise so no issues.

Also The Bath Arms (JD Wetherspoon) in Warminster on 29/04/2016 and woke up with a rash on my body the next morning. I had come from Salisbury the day before but it was pre Novichok although I had been in The Mill the day before. Maybe the recon team visited it then.

Prices reasonable hence choosing to stay there and Warminster had car parking as I was in my car to do the town, hence booking the hotel.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 31-10-2018 at 00:41.

This Space For Hire

Talking of Wetherspoons Hotels

"Meanwhile, Wetherspoon Hotels was an unexpected hit – outperforming big brands including Best Western, Hilton and Marriott.
    The pub chain, best known for its cheap pints and curry nights, has branched out to offer accommodation in 57 of its historic city-centre properties.
    It was also one of the few chains rated four stars for value for money, with guests paying £68 a night, on average."

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/11...otels-revealed

I stayed in The King's Highway (JD Wetherspoon) a couple of years ago. I thought it was a decent hotel.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I stayed in The King's Highway (JD Wetherspoon) a couple of years ago. I thought it was a decent hotel.
    I've stayed in their hotels at Wigan, Brecon, Ruthin, Camborne and Broughty Ferry near Dundee. The one at Camborne was the best as it's like a proper hotel and is a good Spoons. I got a real pokey little room in Wigan and in Brecon they only have four rooms so the hotel side of it is more an afterthought. My next potential stay will be the new hotel in Dublin later next year but I will check out the prices first.