Ads not shown when logged in
Page 78 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

I regularly look at a JDW tickers forum and they are up in arms about a new menu being trialled in about 100 outlets that makes massive cuts to the existing one. I haven't seen it myself but complaints are the dropping of the Soup and the Lamb Shank which is the only dish remotely resembling a Sunday Lunch. More than one correspondent said that they don't eat in Spoons any more but go for a Marston's outlet or even (shock horror!) a Hungry Horse. These are committed Spoons fans which must be worrying for the company.
    The recent Steak Club problem was caused by a sudden inspection of their supplier Russell Hume site in Birmingham where the Food Standards Authority found “serious non-compliance with food hygiene regulations”. I remember reading an announcement from JDW the following day stating that the problem was down to "labelling", obviously a cover up.
    Pete Brown has blogged a criticism of Tim Martin's Brexit activities because it is politicising the company, a point I totally agree with and have mentioned elsewhere on these forums.
    When Steakgate hit the headlines Tim Martin claimed that he didn't even know about it until he saw the newspapers. He is so obsessed woth Brexit that he has responded to the Brown blog as well as having a pop at the Mayor of Liverpool, all while the Tuesday Steak Club is falling apart.
    On a personal note I've noticed a terminal decline in some of my local Spoons as well as nationally a general decline in the choice and quality of Real Ales. There is apparently a drive for lower costs which means cutting staff who seem to be lacking in many outlets.
    In December the manager of one of my local Spoons (which I'd stopped using due to the poor beer choice) resigned with immediate effect and refused to serve out his notice. Other local Spoons I've visited seem to be in a state of crisis or I've heard words to confirm that.

The Chichester Lloyds closed last Sunday and there are no new outlets opening until March. A few outlets are being converted into Hotels but they are dearer than advance bookings at a Travelodge or Premier Inn so I generally won't use them.

This Space For Hire

I don't use Wetherspoons that much as I find the guest beers a bit dull.There are good ones around.Kingston is a great one for beers and quality.Tried 2 of the 4 new beers for me at the London fest they have on this week in Twickenham. and both bland so gave the other two a miss even at £1.09 a half I thought I would be wasting my money.He needs a rethink on his beers imo.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I don't use Wetherspoons that much as I find the guest beers a bit dull.There are good ones around.Kingston is a great one for beers and quality.Tried 2 of the 4 new beers for me at the London fest they have on this week in Twickenham. and both bland so gave the other two a miss even at £1.09 a half I thought I would be wasting my money.He needs a rethink on his beers imo.
    As far as I can see the guest beers are getting duller as you hardly ever see the more interesting ones from the current list. I've only been to 5 JDWs this year and the only one that seems to be putting in an effort on the beer front is the Wolverhampton one which had Pale Rider on last Saturday. I've been to the Surbiton one a few times but will give the Kingston one another try some time. I think my local ones are suffering from an idiot area manager.

This Space For Hire

I have read recently a brewer commenting on Wetherspoons.He said they will only pay £60 + vat for a 4.0 beer.Not much incentive to make a tasty beer at that price.

This Space For Hire

I have read recently a brewer commenting on Wetherspoons.He said they will only pay £60 + vat for a 4.0 beer.Not much incentive to make a tasty beer at that price.
    Well if JDW's punters will only pay £1.99 (or £1.49 with a Camra voucher) for a pint of it it's hardly surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Well if JDW's punters will only pay £1.99 (or £1.49 with a Camra voucher) for a pint of it it's hardly surprising.
    Well if they're happy with their boring beer, fair play to them, they're getting a bargain. I'll leave them to it.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I often wonder how they can sell so many cask beers as I don't see many people drinking it.I drink at night so maybe it shifts during the day but it has often puzzled me.

I often wonder how they can sell so many cask beers as I don't see many people drinking it.I drink at night so maybe it shifts during the day but it has often puzzled me.
    Some outlets (and an ever increasing number IMO) don't sell many cask ales apart from the JDW Trio Of Doom. Many have just one or two options and it's even worse if you go to Scotland. The strange thing is that lots of people drink the dross from the global abominations whether it be lager, Guinness or rubbish keg cider. Most of the lagers and Guinness are more expensive than the cask. There tends to be more cask on at weekends. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that the North of England Spoons overall have better beers than Scotland & Wales and The South. Even then there is the problem that the price differential between a JDW and a "proper" pub is probably not as great as the £1.00 plus in London and the South.

It depends where you go and how well the manager gets on with the dray (an old manager at the Baron Cadoagn used to somehow get his hands on a lot of Orkney Dark Island....)

I was in the Back of Beyond in Reading last week and had two excellent pints of Titanic Black Ice and Salopian Hop Twister, with two other local beers as backup. None-too-shabby.

But yes, there seem to be fewer proper guests of decent quality now in many Spoons. But given the gnats chuff selling margins and the larger tap availability elsewhere nowadays, perhaps a number of breweries who used to sell to Spoons no longer feel the need to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    (an old manager at the Baron Cadoagn used to somehow get his hands on a lot of Orkney Dark Island....)
    I'd almost be tempted to drop my total 'Spoons boycott if I could always get Dark Island there. But on the other hand, I'd always have a sneaking suspicion that they'd tweaked the recipe to fit the price...
    Come On You Hatters!