Ads not shown when logged in
Page 75 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Can someone explain what his VAT grievance is. As I understand it, cooked food is VATable. Alcoholic drinks are VATable. No matter who sells them they are VATable, be it a pub or a supermarket in its cafe. If a pub sells zero-rated groceries, and some do, they are not VATable, same as a supermarket.

What is it he wants, apart from his cake and eating it?
    Last edited by NickDavies; 09-09-2017 at 21:50.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Can someone explain what his VAT grievance is. As I understand it, cooked food is VATable. Alcoholic drinks are VATable. No matter who sells them they are VATable, be it a pub or a supermarket in its cafe. If a pub sells zero-rated groceries, and some do, they are not VATable, same as a supermarket.

What is it he wants, apart from his cake and eating it?
    He claims that supermarkets are using zero VAT on food to subsidise selling beer at a loss. A 500ml bottle of beer in Tesco for £2.00 is £2.27 a pint which is similar to many Wetherspoons. He claims that business rates for pubs and restaurants are higher than supermarkets. I would hope they are and applaud that as buying in food is essential whereas going down the pub and eating out are not. Does anyone know if any government anywhere has actually reduced taxes for just pubs and restaurants?

This Space For Hire

Lots of countries have lower VAT - typically around 10% - for restaurants, bars and hotels.

See eg France, Germany, Italy, Ireland...

http://www.vatlive.com/vat-rates/european-vat-rates/

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The others you mention are a bus ride away and are both shop conversions if I remember rightly, as opposed to this grand looking old Truman's pub. The SW London CAMRA branch is one of the more active ones so I will be surprised if an ACV isn't quickly applied to the C & S, especially as it was once a regular GBG entry. I would hope that the same would apply to the Croydon & Sutton branch.
    CAMRA is less sold on ACVs now that the Neighbourhood Planning Act has allowed permitted development rights (that allowed pubs to be converted to other uses without the need for planning permission) to be removed. As a consequence, CAMRA HQ no longer supports branches (obtaining deeds and site plans) in any ACV nominations. A further consideration is that Wetherspoon's pubs tend not to host the sort of community activities that would form the basis of a nomination. I could be wrong, but I doubt whether Lambeth would consider that all day drinking furthers the social interests of the community!

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    'Shark in minnow pond': Ramsgate locals split on new Wetherspoon pub

https://www.theguardian.com/business...toria-pavilion
    The Deserter blog has a review of it.Tongue in cheek.But he says they have 550 tables and the beer is £2.65 a pint.How much !

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The Deserter blog has a review of it.Tongue in cheek.But he says they have 550 tables and the beer is £2.65 a pint.How much !
    Bloody Hell!!! I'll take my full quota of vouchers next month. It's only on the slightly expensive side for a Southern JDW.

Default New Word

"Spoonatics" comes courtesy of Roger's Profanisaurus in Viz.

The drink-crazed denizens of certain high street pubs, particularly the one in Bishop Auckland.

I look forward to my visit to that outlet next month with even greater relish.

Default Two more closures for next year (or earlier).

It seems that the lease is being given up on the Flpra Sandes in Thornton Heath (May 2018) and the Gig House in Wokingham (Sep 2018). The Flora Sandes is popular with the handful of existing Crystal Palace supporters while the Gig House is another doomed Lloyds No 1. My recollection of just a single visit to both is that they are pretty poor JDWs.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The Flora Sandes is popular with the handful of existing Crystal Palace supporters
    Not this one,although I do need a significant amount of ale pre match due to the current circumstances ................which always seems to mean a trip to The George.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson