Ads not shown when logged in
Page 74 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

This Space For Hire

Here's another Tab list, pinch of salt required....

The Wetherspoons Uni League: The universities with the best boozing facilities in the country

https://thetab.com/uk/2017/09/04/def...campaign=xpost

I'm very dubious of the 'garden' column. Do 5 of the nearest JDWs to LSE have a garden?
    Last edited by NickDavies; 04-09-2017 at 16:26.

Default Ahem!

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

The Wetherspoons Uni League: The universities with the best boozing facilities in the country

I'm very dubious of the 'garden' column. Do 5 of the nearest JDWs to LSE have a garden?
    The five nearest 'spoons to the LSE are:
    • Knights Templar (0.2 miles)
    • Shakespeares Head (0.2 miles)
    • Penderel's Oak (0.3 miles)
    • Montagu Pyke (0.6 miles)
    • Moon under Water (0.6 miles)

Even the company only claims a 'licenced outdoor area' for three of these, all of which are just small patio / pavement areas as far as I know (with not a blade of grass in sight).

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

Surely there are various universities missing here? There used to be one called Queen Mary at Mile End which is right next door to one of their outlets. Imperial College in London, Keele University near Stoke and Bangor in North Wales also spring to mind. Very few JDWs have a proper garden rather than just a patio. Some that do have a garden have had the real grass replaced by fake grass, presumably because the staff can't work out how a lawn mower works.

This Space For Hire

Not just lack of lawn mower skills. Keeping indoor tables clear and unsticky is challenging enough, I suspect having to venture outside is too a big an ask. Let alone feral kids issues.

"Prices at Wetherspoons will be "
    http://www.devonlive.com/news/uk-wor...one-day-437168
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    If you find a copy of Wetherspoon's News then don't bother reading it. There are endless pages droning on about Brexit including a two page editorial by the Moronic Mullet. If you still haven't passed out through boredom find the pages about the unfair treatment between supermarkets which are an essential part of life and pubs & restaurants which are a luxury. It's the same tired old arguments.. I expect I will go to a JDW on tax equality day but after stocking up on some zero VAT uncooked food and beer which the supermarket is clearly selling at a loss (NOT!).
    Last edited by Aqualung; 08-09-2017 at 08:18.

Default Closurres continue

Two South London Spoons have been put up for sale, both are freehold original pubs, neither are Lloyds No 1s and only one of them has a neighbouring JDW. The two are the Crown & Sceptre a former Truman's gin palace perched on the summit of Brixton Hill and the Grapes in Sutton which is a close neighbour to the Moon on the Hill.
    The JDW web site only has two upcoming openings at Bletchley and Gorleston in Norfolk so with a number open but up for sale they are heading towards only having 850 outlets.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Two South London Spoons have been put up for sale, both are freehold original pubs, neither are Lloyds No 1s and only one of them has a neighbouring JDW. The two are the Crown & Sceptre a former Truman's gin palace perched on the summit of Brixton Hill and the Grapes in Sutton which is a close neighbour to the Moon on the Hill.
    The JDW web site only has two upcoming openings at Bletchley and Gorleston in Norfolk so with a number open but up for sale they are heading towards only having 850 outlets.
    I passed the Crown and Sceptre on the bus last week and about a mile before it the Holland Tringham and 1 1/2 miles past it the Beehive Brixton so plenty of Spoons options if it does close.Didnt notice any Wetherspoons branding on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    heading towards only having 850 outlets.
    More than enough.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I passed the Crown and Sceptre on the bus last week and about a mile before it the Holland Tringham and 1 1/2 miles past it the Beehive Brixton so plenty of Spoons options if it does close. Didn't notice any Wetherspoons branding on it.
    The others you mention are a bus ride away and are both shop conversions if I remember rightly, as opposed to this grand looking old Truman's pub. The SW London CAMRA branch is one of the more active ones so I will be surprised if an ACV isn't quickly applied to the C & S, especially as it was once a regular GBG entry. I would hope that the same would apply to the Croydon & Sutton branch.