Ads not shown when logged in
Page 61 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    A few openings and an out of date list of closings

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/O...bs-and-a-hotel
    The former manageress of my local JDW left to take over at the new Hotel in Northolt next month. It's a poisoned chalice as Tim Martin is said to be having his own flat installed there.
    If I see him there when I visit I can discuss the merits or otherwise of the EU with him. That'll be fun won't it? (NOT!).

The hotel ought to be a gold mine as it's close to Wembley and Heathrow. I'm not sure about the pub though as it's not really a very central location.

"with the national average standing at 71,159 per Wetherspoon "
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...spoons-8348756
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "with the national average standing at 71,159 per Wetherspoon "
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...spoons-8348756
    As you would expect coming from a newspaper journalist this is a load of cobblers.It takes no account of the size of the branches and probably has more to do with the vagaries of Local Authority Boundaries than anything else. Where does the City Of London come into this with a population of roughly 7,000 and four Spoons (two ARE station ones)?
    Since when did Crawley have four Spoons? I may have been seeing double after the excellent Dark Star Revelation in the GK pub opposite but I still only saw one JDW. According to the man in the know and this site there are four at Gatwick only one of which is landside. I can't imagine anyone living in Crawley going to Gatwick Airport for a drink and something to eat unless they were catching a plane. On the other hand the Hamilton Hall at Liverpool Street could and I believe is used as a pub especially at weekends.
    The headline asks "Which town in Britain has the highest concentration of Wetherspoons pubs?" and then lists a load of local authority areas! Anyone know the population of the Town Wick in Northern Scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Anyone know the population of the Town Wick in Northern Scotland?
    7333 according to the 2001 census.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    As you would expect coming from a newspaper journalist this is a load of cobblers.It takes no account of the size of the branches and probably has more to do with the vagaries of Local Authority Boundaries than anything else. Where does the City Of London come into this with a population of roughly 7,000 and four Spoons (two ARE station ones)?
    Since when did Crawley have four Spoons? I may have been seeing double after the excellent Dark Star Revelation in the GK pub opposite but I still only saw one JDW. According to the man in the know and this site there are four at Gatwick only one of which is landside. I can't imagine anyone living in Crawley going to Gatwick Airport for a drink and something to eat unless they were catching a plane. On the other hand the Hamilton Hall at Liverpool Street could and I believe is used as a pub especially at weekends.
    The headline asks "Which town in Britain has the highest concentration of Wetherspoons pubs?" and then lists a load of local authority areas! Anyone know the population of the Town Wick in Northern Scotland?
    I always thought Reading/Caversham was well-served with 4!

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Default Latest on JDW disposals and new openings.

A new disposal list has been released which excludes some on previous lists but also has four new ones plus the already closed William White in Nuneaton.

This is a link to the details.
    Some of the rents shown on the Leasehold properties are interesting.

The four new ones are these :-

Airdrie - Robert Hamilton
    Cardiff- Central Bar
    Leamington - Jug & Jester
    Watford - Colombia Press

Another upshot of this is that there are a number apparently no longer for sale so presumably the leasehold ones will just keep going until the lease runs out. The ones hypothetically no longer closing are these :-

Birmingham - Solomon Cutler

Bootle - Merton Inn

Didsbury - Milson Rhodes

Dundee - Capitol

Glasgow - Edward Wylie
    Glasgow - Society Rooms

Livingston - Almond Bank

Greater London
    Balham - Moon Under Water
    Fulham - Oyster Rooms
    Northwood Hills - William Jolie
    Putney - Railway
    Putney - Rocket

Rugby - Lawrence Sheriff

Sunderland - Lambton Worm

Trowbridge - Albany Palace
    Trowbridge - Sir Isaac Pitman

The JDW web site now has a list of openings going into next year :-

Dec 2016
    Edinburgh - Caley Picture House

Jan 2017
    Guisborough - Ironstone Miner

Feb 2017
    Chester - Bull & Stirrup Hotel
    Brecon - George Hotel

Mar 2017
    Southampton - Red Lion

Aug 2017
    Ramsgate - Royal Victoria Pavilion

I remember the Bull & Stirrup from the days when it was a Higson's pub and just about the only other option in Chester other than the dreaded Greenalls was the Border Olde Custom House. Border beers were pretty rank to say the least.

Default Closures Continue

JDW are selling five of their nine pubs in Northern Island to another pub group. This includes all three in County Londonderry and the only one in County Fermanagh. After these have gon through there will be more JDWs in the South than the North.

The five are the Spinning Mill in Ballymena, Old Courthouse in Coleraine, Linen Hall in Enniskillen, Diamond and Ice Wharf in Londonderry.

Projected openings now look like this :-

Dec 2016
    Edinburgh - Caley Picture House

Jan 2017
    Guisborough - Ironstone Miner

Feb 2017
    Chester - Bull & Stirrup Hotel
    Brecon - George Hotel

Mar 2017
    Southampton (Bitterne) - Red Lion
    Dovercourt, Harwich - name unknown

Apr 2017
    St Ives (Cambs) - name unknown

Jul 2017
    Ramsgate - Royal Victoria Pavilion

I wonder if Tim Martin's continual political ranting and the pathetic Xmas offering are affecting their trade.

This Space For Hire

His business model relies on selling a lot of beer and food. Maybe they are not successful.Most brewer and pub chains let the successful pubs prop up the less so ones but Tim seems to axe pubs on a regular basis. I think that if they don't make a decent profit he dumps them.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    His business model relies on selling a lot of beer and food. Maybe they are not successful.Most brewer and pub chains let the successful pubs prop up the less so ones but Tim seems to axe pubs on a regular basis. I think that if they don't make a decent profit he dumps them.
    And then there's the Drum, a pub that doesn't do hot food during the day, opens at 10:00 and doesn't do breakfasts, doesn't have a wheelchair accessible toilet but is one of Tim Martin's favourites. The gents toilets have been completely rebuilt which must have been expensive. It's just as well when back in the 90s they regularly used to overflow and go through the ceiling into the downstairs bar area.