Ads not shown when logged in
Page 56 of 146 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    but profits down by nearly 11%

This Space For Hire

Most Disgusting Wetherspoon's Food Item.

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich. I was expecting a pork roll with some tasty sauce to ease it down. What you get is a burger bun full of gelatinous brown gloop sweet enough to be taxable containing bits of fatty pork. You unsuspectingly assume you can pick it up and bite into it in the usual way. What happens is the entire contents explode everywhere: on the plate; in you hands; down your shirt; on your trousers. The one paper napkin supplied is about 99 fewer than the number required to get yourself presentable enough to go back to work.

Whoever devised this dish deserves a Nobel Prize for sadism.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Most Disgusting Wetherspoon's Food Item.

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich. I was expecting a pork roll with some tasty sauce to ease it down. What you get is a burger bun full of gelatinous brown gloop sweet enough to be taxable containing bits of fatty pork. You unsuspectingly assume you can pick it up and bite into it in the usual way. What happens is the entire contents explode everywhere: on the plate; in you hands; down your shirt; on your trousers. The one paper napkin supplied is about 99 fewer than the number required to get yourself presentable enough to go back to work.

Whoever devised this dish deserves a Nobel Prize for sadism.
    Have you tried the "naked" option on Mexican Monday? It's like something out of the old Exorcist film.

Pulled Pork is a gimmick from the USA. It's just overcooked pork reheated in a boring BBQ sauce and for JDW at least frozen then microwaved as required. I avoid it at all costs. I believe there is something called Pulled Chicken where the same probably applies. Peri Peri (aka Beriberi) Chicken is another gimmick. It's just roast chicken with a small dish of "sauce" that is probably just blitzed tinned tomatoes with added Tabasco Sauce out of a bottle. Given that most JDWs now provide bottles of Tabasco Sauce (I used some with great effect on some haggis last Burns Week) it all seams pretty pointless.

I also discovered via an insider (the son of a friend of a friend!) that the reason for ditching the Sunday Roasts is because they get so many sent back. Hardly surprising as the only freshly roasted meat is the chicken (or it appears to be). Some of the Trip Advisor Brigade seem to think that they should get a fine dining experience in a Spoons, but I doubt that they would ever expect that in the Golden Arches or KFC.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 18-03-2016 at 20:52.

Default Latest on closures and openings.

Here is the latest as I understand it :-

Closed
    White Lion Of Mortimer in London's Stroud Green now open as an Urban Pubs and Bars venue.
    Gatehouse in London's Highgate being refurbished by Urban Pubs and Bars and probably opening very soon.
    Paper Moon in Dartford
    Man in the Moon in London's Stanmore
    Summoners in Sittingbourne
    Gilpins Bell in London's Edmonton
    London Hatter in Luton
    William Coppin Newport IOW
    Assembly Rooms Solihull taken over by Stonegate and may well be open
    William Stanley in London's South Norwood closed and to reopen as an Antic Pub
    Cap In Hand Surbiton
    Groves Company Inn Swindon
    Imperial Walsall recently shut at very short notice

On the plus side these have been reported as saved from the chop

Derby - Thomas Leper
    Didsbury - Milson Rhodes
    High Wycombe - William Robert Loosley
    Liverpool - Lime Kiln
    Purley - Foxley Hatch
    Sevenoaks - Sennockian

Ones in doubt :-

Devonshire House in London's Crouch End
    Moon on the Square in Northampton
    Green Ayres Lancaster, after the floods the future is unknown. A Farcebook post saying it was closing was a hoax.
    And my speculation is that the Picture Palace in London's Ponders End may be saved given that they didn't want to close the Gilpins Bell.

On a lighter note there have been eight openings announced for June and July.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

And my speculation is that the Picture Palace in London's Ponders End may be saved given that they didn't want to close the Gilpins Bell.
    I think I'll give up on speculation. Despite the Gilpins Bell having gone this is reported to be closing on the 10th of May. It's being taken over by another (unknown) pub company.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

These are the eleven :-

Auctioneer, Blackpool
    Picture Palace, Enfield
    Earl of Zetland, Grangemouth
    Red Lion, Heanor
    Lattice House, King's Lynn
    Clydesdale Inn, Lanark
    Twitchel Inn, Long Eaton
    Courthouse Mansfield
    Corn Law Rymer, Rotherham
    Swim Inn, Sheffield
    Ye Old Crown Inn, Stourport-on-Severn

They are all from the list of 34 from last November.

In addition the Garrick in Milton Keynes and the Greyhound/ in Maidenhead are closing after this weekend at very short notice.

This Space For Hire

Has there in recent times been a head-office dictat to get the money off the punters and give them their change before pouring the drinks? It seems to be getting more and more common and is immensely annoying if you are behind someone who didn't expect to pay at that point in the proceedings and then remembers he wanted a packet of crisps once all the beer has arrived, causing more faffing around taking money again (or even more aggravatingly, another struggle with the credit card machine).