Ads not shown when logged in
Page 39 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    In Market Harborough the 'spoons was knocking out the remnants of the Festival ales at £1.49 per pint last Sunday but I suppose that is a "one off".They also accepted a 'spoons voucher for one of the pints making it a very cheap round for 3 pints !
    Yes that is a one off as my local Spoons did the same. I've never managed to work out why some Spoons do this and others persevere with them at the full price.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 16-11-2014 at 22:40.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Yes that is a one off as my local Spoons did the same. I've never managed to work out why some Spoons do this and others perservere with them at the full price.
    It may be to do with best before dates on the barrels.The American brewers were across brewing that beer about 2 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    It may be to do with best before dates on the barrels.The American brewers were across brewing that beer about 2 months ago.
    I would have thought that was unlikely as they would have made one large batch with all the same dates. I had the Mordue festival ale in Sheffield yesterday and it was fine although I was a bit worse for wear!

Default JDW Expanding in the South.

After a period with only the odd pub opening here and there they seem to be returning to the South.
    There is a new City of London Spoons The Sir John Hawkshaw at Cannon Street Station opening in February. This is in addition to a new one at Brentwood that opened last week and in the next four months ones at Alton, Crowborough, Hoddesdon and Hitchin.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

After a period with only the odd pub opening here and there they seem to be returning to the South.
    There is a new City of London Spoons The Sir John Hawkshaw at Cannon Street Station opening in February. This is in addition to a new one at Brentwood that opened last week and in the next four months ones at Alton, Crowborough, Hoddesdon and Hitchin.
    Hoddesdon is just up the road ,and I will be one of the early adopters ! That town really does need a 'spoons to raise the real ale scene from it's current moribund state.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

There is a new City of London Spoons The Sir John Hawkshaw at Cannon Street Station opening in February.
    Long overdue...

Default Heineken

" Wetherspoon has decided to stop serving "
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...er-supply.html
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    " Wetherspoon has decided to stop serving "
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...er-supply.html
    Indeed. Not a good move on Heineken's part as it stops Murphys and Beamish being sold too, and one or two Irish people happen to drink stout.

But what now for the stout drinkers with no Guinness either ???

Of note is that McSpoons stopped stocking Guinness in the UK many years back, it didn't last long though IIRC.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    Indeed. Not a good move on Heineken's part as it stops Murphys and Beamish being sold too, and one or two Irish people happen to drink stout.

But what now for the stout drinkers with no Guinness either ???

Of note is that McSpoons stopped stocking Guinness in the UK many years back, it didn't last long though IIRC.
    Looks like there is a duopoly in the Irish keg stout market ,and unless 'spoons can unearth an alternative supply (my suggestion would be Titanic Stout ) Tim is probably going to have to back off.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Looks like there is a duopoly in the Irish keg stout market ,and unless 'spoons can unearth an alternative supply (my suggestion would be Titanic Stout ) Tim is probably going to have to back off.
    You underestimate Mullet Man's tenaciousness...he'll be out to break the duopoly like Thatcher did with the NUM.

As you say, what price JDW sub-contracting a kegged stout order from a brewery like Marstons? Probable. You'd have to be a sniffer dog to tell the difference between most mass-market kegged stouts so an own-brand that retails for 2/3 to 1/2 of the price of the others (and JDW will underwrite a loss on it) will, if brewed to a closely defined standard, mean a lot of punters with lower incomes voting with their wallets, marketing be damned.
    Last edited by Quinno; 09-12-2014 at 18:38.