Ads not shown when logged in
Page 35 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    This is probably the thin end of the wedge,

The coppers are talking about doing this in Nottingham,proper drinking pubs like Langtrys who stay open to 12.30 on a weekend will no doubt close at 12.00 to avoid to penalty payment.
    Once the coppers get their teeth into this the hours will gradually come down,so publicans will have to pay after 10.00 for example.

I do think we are living a police state,things will only get worse for drinkers.

End of rant

PS ,First one for quite a while
    Maybe we would see the return of "afters" and the lock in. I doubt that Spoons would do it but I'm sure smaller pubs would.

I assume the time quoted is the time they stop serving. All they need to do is give an hour's drinking up time.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 09-07-2014 at 18:39.

This Space For Hire

Rumour has it that the Capitol se23 is to close in the next few weeks and the one in the shopping centre Finchley rd has also closed due to a rent increase.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Rumour has it that the Capitol se23 is to close in the next few weeks and the one in the shopping centre Finchley rd has also closed due to a rent increase.
    There was a post on the other site at the end of June (six weeks ago now) saying it would close soon and revert to being a cinema. I get the impression that this talk has been going on for over five years. If Spoons own the freehold then thay will only sell it if it's not making enough money. I've only been there morning or early afternoon so am in no position to judge that.
    The Finchley Road one closed a few months ago. It's not one I would ever have returned to so it's no loss to me. It was in a modern shopping centre and was expensive.

There have been on and off rumours about the Drum in Leyton closing for over 15 years now.

Rumour has it that the Capitol se23 is to close in the next few weeks.

Having looked further into this it seems there may be some truth in it. It would seem that Spoons days are numbered here but I don't think there is an official timescale. Apparently Spoons are only leasing the building and it will not be renewed.
    A not too serious local website sent someone down there to gauge the reaction of locals. I thought this was the best one :-

Robert, 38: A cinema? The gentrification brigade will love it, but you can’t get shit-faced in a cinema, can you. They haven’t thought this through.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Is this the cheapest pint of real ale in the country? On our recent visit to the Red Lion in Bedlington, Northumberland, I paid £1.85 a pint. The Red Lion (JD Wetherspoon)

Nope - OBB for £1.34 here - Victoria Hotel

The North East definitely has some good value beer though - a year and a half ago I got a pint in The Ward Jackson (JD Wetherspoon) for £1.29.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Is this the cheapest pint of real ale in the country? On our recent visit to the Red Lion in Bedlington, Northumberland, I paid £1.85 a pint. The Red Lion (JD Wetherspoon)
    RaY, you should have said the cheapest pint of decent beer.Thats a stupid price for beer.the wholesale price for beer is about £70 a firkin so £1 a pint . the good brewers charge £80 to £100 a firkin .Wetherspoon can only charge that price because they are subsidised by the London pubs that are charging over £3 a pint.I hate Wetherspoon,s predatory pricing.

RaY, you should have said the cheapest pint of decent beer.Thats a stupid price for beer.the wholesale price for beer is about £70 a firkin so £1 a pint . the good brewers charge £80 to £100 a firkin .Wetherspoon can only charge that price because they are subsidised by the London pubs that are charging over £3 a pint.I hate Wetherspoon,s predatory pricing.
    I'm afraid your theory about London Spoons subsidising all the other UK ones just doesn't add up. According to the latest Spoons directory there are just 19 Central London outlets. Surely you can't seriously be suggesting that the charging of a quid a pint on average more than other Spoons is enough to subsidise the prices in the remaining 881?
    Spoons aren't being predatory here, they are just joining in with the rest of the gang and taking advantage of a captive market of workers and tourists who either don't realise or don't care about the fact they are being right royally ripped off.

I hate Wetherspoon,s predatory pricing.
    I just hate Wetherspoon's
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields