Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 145 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Thanks for the nudge on that one!!
    No problem fella!

Off to Google street view to search for 'forgetten' pubs in Bristol..

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Yeah me and Dave have been perusing the Google street view correcting various bits of Bristol trying to get the map points all correct. Been some amusing ones where we have just found the husks of buildings left.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Whilst trying to find out a little more about the planned opening of a new JDW in Ossett, I came upon this article:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/busin...ove.6613624.jp

Seems Timbo is rather impressed with ale loving Tykes, as he plans to open 17 more venues in Yorkshire in the next twelve months.

"Yorkshire is a key target area for the company, which has identified sites in Ripon, Wakefield, Whitby, Driffield, Beverley, Scarborough, Pudsey, Mirfield, York, Morley, Horsforth, Halifax, Selby, Northallerton, Thorne, Ossett and Chapel Allerton"

That's me and 'oldboots' sorted anyway!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    That's me and 'oldboots' sorted anyway!
    I rarely use them, the Harrogate one's ok but the Thirsk one often has deeply unpleasant punters. Anyway with the One Eyed Rat in Ripon why would I bother? I worry about a number of down market pubs in Ripon that will have their legs cut off by the 'spoons when (if) it opens - we're now at about 8 months since the Unicorn closed and no sign of any work being carried out by JDW. The one in Otley took months to open as well and that's being outdone in the quality ale stakes by the Old Cock by all accounts. York? the competition is very, very good and there's lots of it. Northallerton has a Market Town Tavern but otherwise is as poor pubwise as Thirsk so a JDW might be a worthwhile addition.

A&H: If you fancy a trip to Otley some time it's supposed to be a very good town for a crawl now, just a bit difficult to get to (bus from Bradford or the Airport?).
    Last edited by oldboots; 17-12-2010 at 10:43.

It probably comes as no surprise that I'm a Wetherspoon fan. Yeah, there are some crap pubs among them, but then, with 800 or so to choose from what do you expect, universal perfection? If so, then there is no doubt about it, you will be disappointed.
    One thing I've noticed is that many complainants citing a good real ale pub nearby. Which, of course, is great if you have one within reach, some of us don't and for us, well, me anyway, the local JDW is the only port on the coast. My experience is that smaller towns, away from the commuter routes, have the worst town pubs and, sometimes, the best Wetherspoon outlets.
    Near to me, if you don't want to always be drinking Ringwood or Badger, then JDW is the only name in town..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I rarely use them....

A&H: If you fancy a trip to Otley some time it's supposed to be a very good town for a crawl now, just a bit difficult to get to (bus from Bradford or the Airport?).
    Oh, 'ob' I thought you knew me better than that! We need an emoticon for heavy sarcasm.

I'd love a jaunt round Otley at some stage. As you say not the easiest place to get to since the 'Beeching Axe', but not quite as grim as I thought. Train to Menston, then 967 to Otley. Alternatively, the X84 service from Leeds.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Oh, 'ob' I thought you knew me better than that! We need an emoticon for heavy sarcasm.
    Being a miserable old git I don't do subtle (as you may have noticed)

I'd love a jaunt round Otley at some stage. As you say not the easiest place to get to since the 'Beeching Axe', but not quite as grim as I thought. Train to Menston, then 967 to Otley. Alternatively, the X84 service from Leeds.
    I was thinking about the Wednesday after Xmas, after the bank holidays and before the horrors of NYE, depends on the weather of course. PM me if you think it's a goer.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I was thinking about the Wednesday after Xmas, after the bank holidays and before the horrors of NYE, depends on the weather of course. PM me if you think it's a goer.
    Sorry, 'ob'. I already know it's a non-starter. Have family descending Tue-Fri. Will take a raincheck.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

They're 'avin' a larf surely