Ads not shown when logged in
Page 24 of 146 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

There's a nasty rumour that this pub is being considered by Timbo

Default M40

"at present there are still negotiations taking place.”
    http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news...b_to_go_ahead/
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Default Are Spoons Courting the Global Corporate Abominations?

I went in the Wanstead George today and was horrified to find that two of the handpumps were devoted to the pathetic Doombar and a new one to me Tetley's Gold. Given that both of these concoctions are the spawn of Satan (ie the Global Corporate Abominations) I wondered just what is going on.

My anger was compunded by the fact that these two "beers" were both 20p dearer than the vastly superior standard guests, in fact the 6.2% Essex Beast was on offer for just 11p a pint more.

In addition the global but a long time Spoons regular, Directors was available at the same price, the boring and ubiquitous London Pride was wasting a pump at a ridiculous price and the two usual GK suspects were both doubled up. I can understand the cheap house beer Ruddles being doubled up, but Abbot is nowadays expensive compared to guest beers and is no longer the "Get Out of Jail Free Card" that it used to be when the guests didn't appeal.

All this rubbish is blocking out the proper guests and the local brewer's stuff.

I am going to send feedback to Spoons and hope that anyone else who finds themselves in this situation will follow suit. Spoons claim they are supporting micros and local brewers but on this evidence they are doing so reluctantly.

This Space For Hire

Well last month i got 50 +new beers without resorting to Wetherspoon dross.Thats a line up from HELL at the George.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Well last month i got 50 +new beers without resorting to Wetherspoon dross.Thats a line up from HELL at the George.
    The Wetherspoon Dross that you talk about is actually the dross that most pubs whether by choice or coercion seem to stock. My biggest gripe is the totally pointless Doombar and Tetley's Gold being sold at a higher price than the standard guests.

It wasn't all dross as I did manage to try three of the four proper guests on offer Purity Mad Goose, and two Nethergate beers (Mary Mild and Essex Beast). I'm not that bothered about new beers but do try to steer clear of ones from the Global Corporate Abominations and the overpriced SE Regionals.

There's no way I'm going to chase around the rip-off Central London "Craft" pubs just to try a new beer although I'm prepared to make occasional one pint visits to more expensive non Spoons pubs. I feel blessed to have the Brodie's Brewery Tap local to me where the prices are slightly higher or less than the local Spoons.

"secures first pub at motorway services"
    http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/C...orway-services
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "secures first pub at motorway services"
    http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/C...orway-services
    The main draw with Wetherspoon is cheap beer and cheap food but I suppose that like the airport outlets the price will be a lot higher than the normal pubs.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Can't see it working. Will the police be waiting to check if fit to go on the motorway again. A bit scary to worry about who is on the road with you.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

I'm not sure about how it will work either, but I can see their food going down well as in my experience Spoon's food is Michelin Starred compared to the appalling rubbish that I've come across at Motorway Services.

I can't see real ale other than maybe GK Ruddles being an option due to the drink and drive issue and any attempt to stock more surely wouldn't work as the sales would be too slow. Maybe Spoons have a completely different business plan for it. I thought these places were not allowed to serve alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I thought these places were not allowed to serve alcohol.
    That's what my wife said but you are both wrong...tedious detail is here: http://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/...hp?f=15&t=1320