Ads not shown when logged in
Page 22 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    How about the Half Moon in Mile End (adjacent to Stepney Green Underground). On my visit earlier in the year it was more expensive than the opulent Ledger Building in the middle of Docklands. They did seem to have a captive audience of impoverished students rather than the usual collection of old soaks.
    Apart from the obvious airport / railway station examples, the rationale behind Wetherspoon's pricing policy can be rather opaque. In my experience, there is quite a lot of fluctuation up and down at any one outlet, let alone between outlets in the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Apart from the obvious airport / railway station examples, the rationale behind Wetherspoon's pricing policy can be rather opaque. In my experience, there is quite a lot of fluctuation up and down at any one outlet, let alone between outlets in the same area.
    I think the answer is that they charge as much as they can get away with while avoiding driving away the punters, much the same as everywhere else really, only some pub chains are so blind to commercial reality that some of their pubs no longer have many punters left.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I think the answer is that they charge as much as they can get away with while avoiding driving away the punters, much the same as everywhere else really, only some pub chains are so blind to commercial reality that some of their pubs no longer have many punters left.
    That is certainly the general law of supply and demand, but does not necessarily explain the sort of £2.25 up to £2.49 then down to £1.99 and then back to £2.25 again variations that you gat at some 'spoons.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    That is certainly the general law of supply and demand, but does not necessarily explain the sort of £2.25 up to £2.49 then down to £1.99 and then back to £2.25 again variations that you gat at some 'spoons.
    I can explain the recent drop to £1.99 as that was the January Sale. However, it wasn't consistently applied as The George in Wanstead had the "Super Premium" price band Essex Beast on at £1.99 (I took full advantage!). I believe that the £1.99 price should have generally only been appicable to beers of 4.9% and under.

I seem to recall that some time ago the manager of the Drum in Leyton managed to negotiate with the area manager a price drop down to £1.35 a pint for all guest beers (they didn't have price bands then). I don't recall what the price was before, but I never heard a single complaint!

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Spritzer Swallower

JDW Guest ales price increase today 19% are they extracting the urine ?

If my calculations are correct and they maintain the silly 9p rather than rounding up to the 10p figure then in a "standard" Spoons the 4.9% and less guests will be £2.49 up from £2.09, the Premium guests will be £2.69 up from £2.25 and the Super Premium guests will be £2.89 up from £2.40.

I would like to see them get rid of mainstream beers which cost more than the guests which would definitely apply to the two Fuller's beers ESB and Pride and on recent evidence GK Abbot and IPA. As Abbot is reputedly Tim Martin's favourite tipple that may not happen.

Whether the £3.30 minimun guest beer price at Victoria Station will be increased to £3.90 or more remains to be seen.

They are pre-empting the budget so if they go up AGAIN after that then I think they will be losing their edge, depending what other pubs do.

This Space For Hire

[QUOTE=
    They are pre-empting the budget so if they go up AGAIN after that then I think they will be losing their edge, depending what other pubs do.[/QUOTE]

Well they pre-empted it the wrong way.

Wonder if they'll come down again, and further.

Wonder if any pubco will drop its prices.

Well so much for 18% price rises! I popped in the King's Ford in Chingford this lunchtime and the price increases are nothing like that. The Ford is a typical London suburban Spoons with exactly the same price structure as all the other Spoons I regularily visit.

The standard guests have risen from £2.09 to £2.15 and the premium guests have risen from £2.25 to £2.30. The ultra premium (7% ciders and the like) have risen from £2.65 to £2.75. I think I was told that the super premium guests (the likes of Essex Beast etc) have risen from £2.40 to £2.60 which would make it the largest increase but I may have been told £2.50.

I was far more concerned about the fact that there seems to be a new or temporary manager in place and the beer quakity was well below par.

I noticed that some of the food had gone up a bit but only someone who ate in them all the time would really notice.

Isn't the beer duty payed by the brewer? I thought it was so it would be up to them to reduce their prices, but I can't see any of them doing that.

Given the cuts in the public sector I wonder how the people who police excise duty are coping with the plethora of new brewers that have spring up in the last five years. Do they just take their word for granted or what?

Spritzer Swallower

Aqualung...The JDW I use in Leeds increased its guest ale price by 40p per pint from Monday this week. Went from £2.09 to £2.49 equal to 19% increase. New price lists had been printed so it will be interesting to see if they reduce the price by 1p as per budget and then have to reprint the price lists, serve em right for being greedy.