Ads not shown when logged in
Page 17 of 145 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

The Spoons Christmas guest list is usually the most boring one of the year. How can anything that isn't a true Winter beer (Old Tom, Headcracker, Moonraker etc etc etc) possibly be a Xmas beer? Instead we get a boring selection of low ABV beers with daft Xmas names from regional brewers or larger micros.
    And you can't use your vouchers during December either
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    And you can't use your vouchers during December either
    A timely reminder, must make sure they are all used by the end of the month. Thanks BF .
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    A timely reminder, must make sure they are all used by the end of the month. Thanks BF .
    Damn. I was planning to (re)join CAMRA! Not that I ever go to a 'spoons.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I have been a member of CAMRA since 1974, although my membersip lapsed briefly some time in the 80's as I didn't get round to renewing. I became a life member in 1990 for the princely sum of £100 or so.

I was told the other day that the annual subs are now approaching thirty quid.

The Spoons vouchers are the icing on the cake!

I was told the other day that the annual subs are now approaching thirty quid.
    If you pay by direct debit it's £23 for the over 26s and under 60s, £15.50 if you're under 26 or over 60. So for the young and the coffin dodgers who use 'spoons it's got to be a no-brainer. Life membership is now £414.

If you can talk your wife, husband or partner into joint membership it's cheaper each but you get only one set of vouchers .

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    If you pay by direct debit it's £15.50 if you're under 26 or over 60.

If you can talk your wife, husband or partner into joint membership it's cheaper each but you get only one set of vouchers .
    I think I'll wait for a couple of years! Mrs W doesn't drink,so vouchers and membership would be wasted.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Has anyone come across a list of the Spoon's Xmas ales?

There are supposed to be 22 of them, but I can't find a list on the web site. I think all of the Spoon's I've been to recently have had the boring Hobgoblin on and the few Xmas ones I have seen have looked pretty dull. The Chingford Spoons had Orkney Clootie Dumpling at 4.3%, but it was going at the premium price so I didn't bother. I tried the Burton Bridge Santi-Freeze (4.5%) and to be honest it was a bland boring red ale which I think I may have seen before.

If it carries on like this then it looks like it's going to be Brodie's all the way for me until January, unless I can find some extra beer tokens to visit the Cock in Hackney.

I'll stay on me own

Has anyone come across a list of the Spoon's Xmas ales?

There are supposed to be 22 of them, but I can't find a list on the web site. I think all of the Spoon's I've been to recently have had the boring Hobgoblin on and the few Xmas ones I have seen have looked pretty dull. The Chingford Spoons had Orkney Clootie Dumpling at 4.3%, but it was going at the premium price so I didn't bother. I tried the Burton Bridge Santi-Freeze (4.5%) and to be honest it was a bland boring red ale which I think I may have seen before.

If it carries on like this then it looks like it's going to be Brodie's all the way for me until January, unless I can find some extra beer tokens to visit the Cock in Hackney.
    I have been in a few different Spoons in the last couple of weeks,but have not noticed any lists of Christmas beers,the only proper Christmas beer i have noticed was Butcombe Christmas Jester in the Woodthorpe Top.

Attachment 788

Apparently in the latest Wetherspoon's news.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Attachment 788

Apparently in the latest Wetherspoon's news.
    Thanks for that, I saw the News in the King's Ford and never thought to pick it up. I'll get it on Friday, although it does look pretty uninspiring. They now have a three tier price structure for guest ales so why there aren't any over 5.5% I don't know (I think the third tier is 6% plus). to me a Xmas beer is Old Tom or Orkney Skullsplitter. Maybe they are too much for the once a year brigade.