Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 145 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Christmas beer list, and some have started appearing on the pumps. Said to be reducing price down to £1.70 a pint till Christmas.

Just a reminder. This is why the CAMRA Wetherspoons tokens are only valid until Friday 2nd December.

Use 'em or lose 'em.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Got rid of a few spoons vouchers in Castle Roch pubs on Friday.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by pintplease View Post
    Kids are the problem in wetherspoons. I appreciate the good range of usually well kept ales at reasonable prices, also a quiet atmosphere without music where you can enjoy a few pints in the afternoon and a read of the paper. Recently in several JDW pubs that I have visited the quiet relaxing atmosphere has been spoiled by screaming kids accompanied by parents who just don't give a damn about the disturbance and disruption being caused to other customers.
    A number of times over the last few months I have been driven from my table to go and try to find a seat where I can drink without the shrill screaming of those kids.
    They should be kept in a separate area or better still not be allowed in at all.
    Sadly that isn't just Wetherspoons. They do attract a certain demographic but the kids in pubs problem runs across all classes. Little Tarquin and Samantha taken on a Sunday lunch run out in the 4x4 to a nice country pub are just as (if not more) obnoxious as their little cousins Wayne and Chardonnay screaming down the local JDW on benefit cheque day.

The best pubs have family areas or keep them to the restaurant. The very best ban under 18s completely.

Spoons at Truro can be like a creche. More kids per table than adults - or that's how it feels. You turn from the bar to see if you are going to stand on or fall over the little ones rolling around on the floor. And that is without the vocals.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by pintplease View Post
    Kids are the problem in wetherspoons. I appreciate the good range of usually well kept ales at reasonable prices, also a quiet atmosphere without music where you can enjoy a few pints in the afternoon and a read of the paper. Recently in several JDW pubs that I have visited the quiet relaxing atmosphere has been spoiled by screaming kids accompanied by parents who just don't give a damn about the disturbance and disruption being caused to other customers.
    A number of times over the last few months I have been driven from my table to go and try to find a seat where I can drink without the shrill screaming of those kids.
    They should be kept in a separate area or better still not be allowed in at all.
    Most Spoons that i have been in have seperate areas for people with children.

For example if you go in the Babbington in Derby and dont want to drink close to screaming kids dont go to the back of the pub either drink in the middle or the front

If you happen to be in the Roebuck in Nottingham dont go in the room at the front left the rest of the pub is kids free.

I could go on and name more but it is'nt that hard to find the kid free area in any Spoons.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post

I could go on and name more but it is'nt that hard to find the kid free area in any Spoons.
    I have never been aware of separate kids areas, if there are then it may be purely by accident, unable to get push chair there etc

I know when I go in with the grandchildren we plonk down wherever there is space for us [no pushchair], if we are wrong, then either staff do not tell us or there are no notices, or more likely, as silly old duffer, everyone assumes I can't help it

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post

For example if you go in the Babbington in Derby and dont want to drink close to screaming kids dont go to the back of the pub either drink in the middle or the front

If you happen to be in the Roebuck in Nottingham dont go in the room at the front left the rest of the pub is kids free.

At the last count, I had visited about 145 'spoons and can only recall seeing a designated children's area in perhaps a dozen of them...

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    At the last count, I had visited about 145 'spoons and can only recall seeing a designated children's area in perhaps a dozen of them...
    In my opinion there should be a designated children's area in every pub, whether it be a Wetherspoons or not, and that designated area should be OUTSIDE. It could be in a McDonalds, a coffee shop, a restaurant, a cafe, a creche, or a park, but not in a PUB.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    The childrens areas dont say Children area but if you take children into an other area of the Spoons that is'nt the childrens area you will be told to move to the correct area.
    These areas are usually well away from the bar.

I am not saying i agree with childen going in pubs but just stating that Spoons and other pubs let children into designated areas and not throughout the pub.

I think a lot of JDW's have a freestanding sign marked "family area" and can be moved forward or backwards depending on how full it gets. They are usually towards the rear of the room away from the bar, but by no means do all the kids get into that area - especially in Truro's creche.