Ads not shown when logged in
Page 112 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1139

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

  1. #1111
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    I haven't checked the pubs listed, but pretty sure the Spoons web site has a bit about the history of each pub which would have saved this intrepid journalist from having to delve deep within dusty archives...
    To be fair to the hack, not all Kent outlets have one of those pub histories. It's just possible that the author may have actually visited them all.
    Kent JDWs have proved resilient with only two closures (Dartford & Sittingbourne) and the Sittingbourne closure came soon after the opening of a new , presumably Freehold outlet in a better location nearby.

  2. #1112
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "We've delved deep into the archives to find out"
    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/ne...before-217918/
    Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    I haven't checked the pubs listed, but pretty sure the Spoons web site has a bit about the history of each pub which would have saved this intrepid journalist from having to delve deep within dusty archives...
    For the Kent Messenger (rightly or wrongly notorious in these parts for various reasons), this is a good, well-illustrated feature that will rightly catch the attention of people who wouldn't otherwise become aware of some interesting pub histories.

  3. #1113
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Wetherspoons to create 10,000 new jobs over four years in huge £200m expansion

    "...new pubs in Bourne in Lincolnshire; Waterford in Ireland; Hamilton in Scotland; Ely in Cambridgeshire; Diss in Norfolk; Felixstowe in Suffolk; Newport Pagnell in Buckinghamshire; and Prestatyn in North Wales"


    https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/break...0-new-21062379

  4. #1114
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Wetherspoons to create 10,000 new jobs over four years in huge £200m expansion

    "...new pubs in Bourne in Lincolnshire; Waterford in Ireland; Hamilton in Scotland; Ely in Cambridgeshire; Diss in Norfolk; Felixstowe in Suffolk; Newport Pagnell in Buckinghamshire; and Prestatyn in North Wales"


    https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/break...0-new-21062379

    Galway will be a real pig to get to. I don't even know where Hamilton is but assume it's somewhere in Scotland's populous central area.

  5. #1115
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Galway will be a real pig to get to. I don't even know where Hamilton is but assume it's somewhere in Scotland's populous central area.
    Clyde valley just a bit south east of Glasgow, it's a bit of post industrial disaster area and not particularly pleasant. probably its only claim to fame is being near the birthplace of David Livingstone of "Dr Livingstone I presume" fame. Remarkably there is one pub there in the 2020 GBG.

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

  6. #1116
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Galway will be a real pig to get to.
    Piece of cake. Car to Holyhead, fast ferry to Dun Laoghaire, night in Dublin then drive across to Galway and stay in the Jury's Inn for a couple of nights
    and call in Limerick for a couple of nights on the way back.

    That's what we did anyway.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  7. #1117
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Piece of cake. Car to Holyhead, fast ferry to Dun Laoghaire, night in Dublin then drive across to Galway and stay in the Jury's Inn for a couple of nights
    and call in Limerick for a couple of nights on the way back.

    That's what we did anyway.
    Errrr, I don't drive. I have been to Galway nearly 40 years ago. It wasn't my favourite place in Ireland.

  8. #1118
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Errrr, I don't drive. I have been to Galway nearly 40 years ago. It wasn't my favourite place in Ireland.
    Not mine either. I much prefer Limerick, Cork and Sligo.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  9. #1119
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Errrr, I don't drive. I have been to Galway nearly 40 years ago. It wasn't my favourite place in Ireland.

    I don't drive either now so:, train to Holyhead, Ferry to Dun Laoghaire, DART / LUAS to Dublin Heuston, Intercity to Galway. Dublin - Galway is about 2 1/2 Hours.


    https://www.irishrail.ie/ has a journey planner like our National Rail Enquiries one.

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

  10. #1120
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Errrr, I don't drive. I have been to Galway nearly 40 years ago. It wasn't my favourite place in Ireland.
    Galway is much better than it was - I like it nowadays.

Similar Threads

  1. Sad News: Arwkrite
    By Conrad in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 19-11-2009, 22:46
  2. Good news for a change !!
    By Delboy20 in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-11-2009, 10:04
  3. Pub news of the day
    By Conrad in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 23:47

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •