Ads not shown when logged in
Page 26 of 146 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Default Spoons Autumn Fest

It's early days yet, but they have put up the beers for it here.

I thought the list looked really good this time. There are 10 US brews (some made over here) as well as an 8.5% version of Abbot.

You have to scroll down towards the bottom of the PDF file to see the tasting notes.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I thought the list looked really good this time.
    Agreed. Definitely one of the better lists from the last few festivals. I'm even curious about the Abbott.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Agreed. Definitely one of the better lists from the last few festivals. I'm even curious about the Abbott.
    I often hear or overhear stories about how the daytime Spoons brigade only go for the stronger beers such as GK Abbot Reserve (Turbo Abbot). Depending on the price they charge for the supercharged 8.5% one I wouldn't mind betting that it will cause a few casualties. I just hope they don't insist on serving it in halfs so I have to order two of them.

Default The Yanks are coming

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

Do JDW still have a no music policy? We stopped in here for a quick one yesterday afternoon to find, somewhat surreally, Songs of Praise blaring out from the telly.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Do JDW still have a no music policy? We stopped in here for a quick one yesterday afternoon to find, somewhat surreally, Songs of Praise blaring out from the telly.
    How Bizarre!
    There was nothing on when I went there a while ago, but it was before 11:00. Maybe one of the staff is a Bill Turnbull stalker.

I've only ever seen the TV's sound on in Spoons when someone has asked to see sport. I can think of no reason why this service should only be provided for people who want to watch sport rather than what you came across, Aussie soaps, Celebrity Big Brother, the Jeremy Kyle Show or any other TV program.
    Personally I think they should banish the screens completely.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    How Bizarre!
    There was nothing on when I went there a while ago, but it was before 11:00. Maybe one of the staff is a Bill Turnbull stalker.

I've only ever seen the TV's sound on in Spoons when someone has asked to see sport. I can think of no reason why this service should only be provided for people who want to watch sport rather than what you came across, Aussie soaps, Celebrity Big Brother, the Jeremy Kyle Show or any other TV program.
    Personally I think they should banish the screens completely.
    Agree, chuck the screens out.
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Agree, chuck the screens out.
    I think the pub was running on autopilot to be honest, just three zero-hours unfortunates trying to cope with a reasonably busy pub, no obvious managerial presence. I asked for Sambrook's Pale, which after much frantic pulling turned out to be off on the pump badged thus. The barmaid asked her colleague what to do and then went to off the next bank and pulled me a pint from a pump clipped for Darkstar Original, claiming they hadn't got round to sorting the clips out. They still hadn't got round to it half an hour later when we left. I think she was probably right about it not being Darkstar Original but I did wonder how many people asking for it got what may or may not have been Sambrook's Pale.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 09-09-2013 at 15:59.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Yes the autopilot & zero hours. Found same in Winchester on Mothering Sunday, tried to give my son a latte coffee that was just filtered stuff, then told when he pointed out the obvious that is all they do.

I can understand, given the day, busy, understaffed & underpaid, but, like with a bad pint, why not just change it, fess up & say "sorry", or "even I can't be arsed"?

My pint was fine, thanks for asking, coffee drinkers in pubs deserve all the get
    I drink to make others more interesting

"total estate of 886 pubs at the end of the financial year"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24076385
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"