Ads not shown when logged in
Page 38 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Not sure if its just me being unlucky or me getting to be a grumpy old fart. But I've found all local Wetherspoons have gone down hill very badly around this area in past few years. The staff seem to have no interest in customers wanting Ale all they want to do is push cheap grub. Often the tables are full of crap and glasses with kids running around uncontrolled plus general house keeping is terrible like trays of glasses taken out of dish washer and just left on floor behind bar. Another grip as mentioned TVs blaring out all day. I tend to go in more small local pubs now where you can actually get served without waiting half hour whilst some idiot orders a glass of coke tea and Burger no I have an egg roll on he will have a coffee oh hang on he wants a bacon baguette sod it I give up and walk out again. Wetherspoons seen to have totally lost their way its just like a licensed McDonald's in most now so I try to avoid them if possible. I would sooner pay more and go in a real Pub..
    Same here, but I am a grumpy old fart, luckily nearby is a Fuller's pub, and they have reduced prices to £2 a pint between 10 & 5 Mon to Friday to stay competitive with Wetherspoons, so all us grumpy old farts can put the world right without having to wait whilst coffee, food etc is ordered
    I drink to make others more interesting

While the price difference between Spoons and local "Real" pubs remains between £1.00 and even £2.00 I will keep going with Spoons. In other parts of England and Wales (all outside of Southern England) the differential is much less and in my opinion the good pubs are miles better than anything in London.
    A question for Farway, are all the Fuller's beers two quid a pint?

Not sure if its just me being unlucky or me getting to be a grumpy old fart. But I've found all local Wetherspoons have gone down hill very badly around this area in past few years. The staff seem to have no interest in customers wanting Ale all they want to do is push cheap grub. Often the tables are full of crap and glasses with kids running around uncontrolled plus general house keeping is terrible like trays of glasses taken out of dish washer and just left on floor behind bar. Another grip as mentioned TVs blaring out all day. I tend to go in more small local pubs now where you can actually get served without waiting half hour whilst some idiot orders a glass of coke tea and Burger no I have an egg roll on he will have a coffee oh hang on he wants a bacon baguette sod it I give up and walk out again. Wetherspoons seen to have totally lost their way its just like a licensed McDonald's in most now so I try to avoid them if possible. I would sooner pay more and go in a real Pub..
    I never realised Wetherspoons had been uphill. Yet another God awful example in Bristol today, obviously popular as there was a 15 metre queue to get to the bar, I didn't feel the urge to join it, I left and went to a proper pub instead.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 14-11-2014 at 22:59.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Well my nearest Spoons is the The Tally Ho (JD Wetherspoon) at north Finchley terrible dump just across road is the Elephant Inn a Fullers pub miles better yes its more expensive but the difference in staffing service cleanliness and quality of Ale more than make up for it in my opinion.
    Last edited by Alesonly; 15-11-2014 at 10:01.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

This Space For Hire

Well my nearest Spoons is the The Tally Ho (JD Wetherspoon) at north Finchley terrible dump just across road is the Elephant Inn a Fullers pub miles better yes its more expensive but the difference in staffing service cleanliness and quality of Ale more than make up for it in my opinion.
    Exactly - the only time I might actively seek out a Wetherspoon is for breakfast, and only then if there isn't a decent looking caff around. But to use as a pub it's almost always a distress purchase - either no other choice or overwhelmed by group democracy - and almost always regretted due to the sheer energy sapping awfulness of it all, from the abysmal service to the sticky tables to the screaming kids. I'd much rather enjoy a £4 pint professionally served in civilised surroundings.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    While the price difference between Spoons and local "Real" pubs remains between £1.00 and even £2.00 I will keep going with Spoons. In other parts of England and Wales (all outside of Southern England) the differential is much less and in my opinion the good pubs are miles better than anything in London.
    A question for Farway, are all the Fuller's beers two quid a pint?
    All the beers and keg, and spirits / mixers are £2. It is just this particular pub, but all pints in there on weekdays between 10 & 5, including Guinness and the keg lagers are 2 quid, however Fullers are introducing Honeydew, 5% ABV so may try that on Monday

From conversations with other landlords it seems Wetherspoon's is making Fuller's pay attention to pricing in this area, my normal local has reached agreement with Fuller's for the £2 a pint weekday daytimes , not on ales, just some keg stuff & cider

Fuller's being London based somehow thinks we in the real south are country bumpkins and the can charge Mayfair prices dahn 'ere
    Last edited by Farway; 15-11-2014 at 13:54.
    I drink to make others more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    All the beers and keg, and spirits / mixers are £2. It is just this particular pub, but all pints in there on weekdays between 10 & 5, including Guinness and the keg lagers are 2 quid, however Fullers are introducing Honeydew, 5% ABV so may try that on Monday

From conversations with other landlords it seems Wetherspoon's is making Fuller's pay attention to pricing in this area, my normal local has reached agreement with Fuller's for the £2 a pint weekday daytimes , not on ales, just some keg stuff & cider

Fuller's being London based somehow thinks we in the real south are country bumpkins and the can charge Mayfair prices dahn 'ere
    Thanks for that info. I'm glad that Spoons are making Fullers see at least some sense. I remember going on a brewery visit to Fuller's years ago and they said that they wouldn't take on pubs in East London because they don't "understand" Fullers.
    I found this remark patronising and offensive. What he really meant was that people in East London aren't prepared to be ripped off.
    I was in Sheffield yesterday and found a Spoons selling standard guests at £1.85 a pint which I believe matches Real Ale Ray's one somewhere near Newcastle.

Thanks for that info. I'm glad that Spoons are making Fullers see at least some sense. I remember going on a brewery visit to Fuller's years ago and they said that they wouldn't take on pubs in East London because they don't "understand" Fullers.
    I found this remark patronising and offensive. What he really meant was that people in East London aren't prepared to be ripped off.
    I was in Sheffield yesterday and found a Spoons selling standard guests at £1.85 a pint which I believe matches Real Ale Ray's one somewhere near Newcastle.
    Two of the 'spoons in Newport (the South Wales one) were selling standard guest beers at £1.80 yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Two of the 'spoons in Newport (the South Wales one) were selling standard guest beers at £1.80 yesterday...
    Could there be any lower than that?

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Could there be any lower than that?
    In Market Harborough the 'spoons was knocking out the remnants of the Festival ales at £1.49 per pint last Sunday but I suppose that is a "one off".They also accepted a 'spoons voucher for one of the pints making it a very cheap round for 3 pints !
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson