Ads not shown when logged in
Page 37 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Is it just me, or on a first read, does that list look really dull? Seems to be too many nationals and large regionals in there.
    That was my first reaction as well. I think I'm right in saying that the only "new wave" brewer is Long Man who I get the impression are quite ambitious. It should be mentioned that the 10 Barrel OG is Wadworth. I don't see how the vast majority of micros can cope with an order for 900 firkins, although not all of the pubs get all 50 beers. According to the GBG Strathaven are a 10 barrel plant (are they new?). It's a shame there are not more colloborations like the Fuller's one last time.
    For the last two years London Spoons have had a London mini-festival running around different sections of the city at fortnightly intervals between January and March. Maybe they should have regional rather than national festivals as there are so many pubs.

This Space For Hire

Yes looks dull to me.Same old problem they use the bigger brewers because they can supply the quantity and at a rock bottom price.I personally think it shows In a lot of the beers that they just churn out an average beer to fit the price.You will find that few of the beers for the fest are brewed again but Adnams- Ghost Ship was one that was highly rated and is now a regular although I think its been dulled down. Aqualung Strathavon have been around for 10 years and have previously brewed at the fest (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Aqualung Strathavon have been around for 10 years and have previously brewed at the fest (I think).
    Yes they have, I recall trying one of their beers in the hideous Green Man at Bank. Thanls for the age of them, so that does mean that Long Man is the only newish brewery. I'm fairly sure I had that Golden Tipple in Eastbourne earlier this year and don't recall it being outstanding. There are breweries on the list that I stilll have faith in, I just hope Bateman's don't stuff up the Double IPA as if I see that going at £1.99 a pint I may stop for a few.

This Space For Hire

Default Amusment arcade

In The Kings Tun (JD Wetherspoon)

This must be a record - I see Aqualung remarked on it 12 months ago. And there are two more on the ground floor. I didn't venture upstairs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141005_141816.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	605.1 KB 
ID:	1127

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    In The Kings Tun (JD Wetherspoon)

This must be a record - I see Aqualung remarked on it 12 months ago. And there are two more on the ground floor. I didn't venture upstairs.

I think i have been in nearly 200 Spoons but for the first time heard background music playing in the Baxters Court Hackney.

Is this a new thing or just a one off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141005_141816.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	605.1 KB 
ID:	1127
    I have been in just under 200 Spoons and for the first time yesterday heard background music playing in the Baxters Court in Hackney.

Is this a new thing or a one off.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I have been in just under 200 Spoons and for the first time yesterday heard background music playing in the Baxters Court in Hackney.

This one had unwatched TVs blaring out motor racing as well. I've seen noisy tellys in other JDWs round here. Down to area managers maybe.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 05-10-2014 at 18:56.

Been to about 280 regular 'spoons, and found background music in perhaps five or six of these (more so recently, but they are not in the sort of towns I visit very often so it is difficult to know whether it is a long-standing practice). Similarly for loud TVs showing sports, although the number encountered might be around the 20 mark. Also been to about 50 Lloyds No 1 bars; and, whilst I don't tend to go late on a Friday or Saturday evening, I haven't found background music in any more than a couple during other hours.

It looks like Tim Martin's original total prohibition has been dropped, but it doesn't seem to be very widespread (yet).

It's normally the Lloyds No. 1 pubs that have music playing in the day and louder music in the evening.
    I've been to Baxter's Court a few times and don't remember music in there, but it certainly needed livening up!
    The George at Hailsham has amplified bingo and quiz nights.

Default JD Wetherspoon reveals poor drinks sales at motorway site

Not sure if its just me being unlucky or me getting to be a grumpy old fart. But I've found all local Wetherspoons have gone down hill very badly around this area in past few years. The staff seem to have no interest in customers wanting Ale all they want to do is push cheap grub. Often the tables are full of crap and glasses with kids running around uncontrolled plus general house keeping is terrible like trays of glasses taken out of dish washer and just left on floor behind bar. Another grip as mentioned TVs blaring out all day. I tend to go in more small local pubs now where you can actually get served without waiting half hour whilst some idiot orders a glass of coke tea and Burger no I have an egg roll on he will have a coffee oh hang on he wants a bacon baguette sod it I give up and walk out again. Wetherspoons seen to have totally lost their way its just like a licensed McDonald's in most now so I try to avoid them if possible. I would sooner pay more and go in a real Pub..
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)