Ads not shown when logged in
Page 97 of 145 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't see how JDW are any worse than all the other pub chains and fast food outlets.
    Well exactly, it's all the same stuff from Bidvest and Brakes.

I don't see how JDW are any worse than all the other pub chains and fast food outlets. I don't really like chips even if they are cooked as they should be from scratch. There are healthier options on the JDW menu but they are few and far between while many pub menus have none, If children are easting unhealthy food it's entirely down to the parents but of course the Morning Advertiser is the mouthpiece of the hypocrites that run "proper" rip off pubs and moan endlessly about JDW policies that are little different from those of the big brewers and other pub chains.
    I don't often use a Spoons:my main gripe is that the helpings are so 'king small.I suppose it's to encourage one to snack on crisps and similar overpriced garbage.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I don't often use a Spoons:my main gripe is that the helpings are so 'king small.I suppose it's to encourage one to snack on crisps and similar overpriced garbage.
    I don't have any problem with the size of the meals especially if it's a mixed grill or a large breakfast. What annoys me is that so much of it is with chips or mash or a half baked (the rest is microwaved) potato which makes the whole thing rather stodgy. You can have peas which I'm sure even John Major would find boring and occasionally corn on the cob. The chicken club used to be available with a side salad and coleslaw but since they stopped the half of roast chicken has options of chicken bones or bits of white leather.

Default Closures continue

Wetherspoons are continuing the trend of closing more outlets than they open. With only three definite openings lined up so far this year (Dublin & Carlow in Eire and James Street in Liverpool), the rumour mill went into overdrive this week and there are now 16 that MAY or WILL close this year:-

Burnley – The Burn Lea
    Bristol – St Georges Hall
    Caversham – The Baron Cadogan
    Cheltenham - Bank House
    Croydon – The Milan Bar
    Dewsbury – The Time Piece
    Hawick – The Bourtree
    Hinckley – The Baron of Hinckley
    Kidderminster – The Penny Black
    Lee Green (London) – The Edmund Halley
    Mansfield - Widow Frost
    Trafford Centre - Mardi Gras
    Rotherham – The Rhinoceros
    St Helens - Running Horses
    Stafford – The Butlers Bell
    West Kirby – The Dee Hotel
    Wick - Alexander Bain

The Wick one is disappointing as I invested a lot of time and money going there. The Rotherham Rhinoceros would be in the upper reaches of my top ten roughest JDWs. Some of the bawdier old London outlets are quite genteel in comparison.

Edit: Mansfield Widow Frost added.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 11-03-2019 at 09:32.

This Space For Hire

Best go revisit St Georges Hall before it possibly shuts then and guess my mate will be pissed off as it's form of sustenance as it's his local.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Best go revisit St Georges Hall before it possibly shuts then and guess my mate will be pissed off as it's form of sustenance as it's his local.
    That's one of the less definite ones so it would be handy if he could confirm it. The current word is that the staff have been told it's being put up for sale. At least there are other ones around unlike Wick where the closest by public transport is a four hour train journey!

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Wetherspoons are continuing the trend of closing more outlets than they open. With only three definite openings lined up so far this year (Dublin & Carlow in Eire and James Street in Liverpool), the rumour mill went into overdrive this week and there are now 16 that MAY or WILL close this year:-

Burnley – The Burn Lea
    Bristol – St Georges Hall
    Caversham – The Baron Cadogan
    Cheltenham - Bank House
    Croydon – The Milan Bar
    Dewsbury – The Time Piece
    Hawick – The Bourtree
    Hinckley – The Baron of Hinckley
    Kidderminster – The Penny Black
    Lee Green (London) – The Edmund Halley
    Trafford Centre - Mardi Gras
    Rotherham – The Rhinoceros
    St Helens - Running Horses
    Stafford – The Butlers Bell
    West Kirby – The Dee Hotel
    Wick - Alexander Bain

The Wick one is disappointing as I invested a lot of time and money going there. The Rotherham Rhinoceros would be in the upper reaches of my top ten roughest JDWs. Some of the bawdier old London outlets are quite genteel in comparison.
    The St Helens one was for sale last year but then they seemed to change their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    The St Helens one was for sale last year but then they seemed to change their mind.
    Yes, I remember, someone claims to have seen this on a list which may or may not have been out of date. The Dee Hotel in West Kirkby is another that they've tried to get rid of before. I dare say that some of these will transpire to be false alarms or that nobody wants to take on the outlet.

This one could fit here or in the Portsmouth crawl thread,

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/our-reg...ntry-1-8843634

Re prices: I discovered today that the two JDWs in E11 have had their guest ale price reduced from £2.15 to £2.09. The Wanstead George had Old Empire on, one of the few Marston beers I'm happy to find so that was a big result.