Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 145 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Last week I stood at the bar of my nearest JDWs and was totally ignored. Now either I was invisible which considering my size is unlikely or the staff were half blind and perhaps have memory problems. I up and left.I do not mind waiting, something for which JDWs is famous, but hate being queue jumped with the connivance of bar staff. Just plain lazy to memorise a line. No its not difficult because I have done it.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I always look to who is on my right and left waiting to be served at a bar and get a look as if I am a strange species if I say to bar staff, "he's before me". Manners cost nought, but I know what you mean when they go straight to friends and their regulars ignoring the poor souls who have been waiting ages.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

This Space For Hire

Probably in a dead spot. Cars always break down in a dead spot where the phones don't work. People like you and me stand in a JDW where the bar staff don't.

A model Wetherspoons is set up so that there is a till, set of pumps and soft drinks machine on the counter and a bank of optics, wines and fridge behind, the arrangement replicating several times along the bar. The operative therefore needn't step more than a couple of paces to prepare an order and take the money. If the branch is staffed by some of their more robotic specimens the chances of them seeing, let alone serving, anyone not in their patch are remote.

When I finally pleaded for a drink when stood in front of the till her Ladyship took off and served two johnny cum lately s at the far end of the bar. I was in the thick of the action but ignored. I only wanted my usual 2x scotch . The Marstons pub round the corner gave me fast service with a smile.

I had the same problem I the Wetherspoons on Friday afternoon I walked up to the bar waited ages whilst the Bar Manager whos standing on my left behind the Bar stood talking too his regulars And the barmaid stood on my right taking food orders. Suddenly someone else walks up and says Hi Carole another coffee please. Barmaid goes off too make the coffee I'm still waiting. A guy comes back from bog and asks hes mates who are still talking too the bar Manager another round They all answer yes he turns too Bar Manager another round please. By this time I'm fuming & gasping barmaid comes back with coffee serves But again ignores me and serves the two Girls that just walk in with kids.
    I walk out and go too the Bridge Tavern instead. What a way for the Duty Manager too behave If he cant set a good example how will the staff.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

My new local JDW only opened 1st Nov, so no time for staff to have "mates" yet, but I must have had the cloaking device switched on by accident, like Nick though I pointed out a young lady who was before me, for which she said thanks

Dead spots seem right, the action area in mine seems to be around the coffee machine near the entrance, so to avoid the melee I went to centre of bar, thus triggering the cloaking device

But I can wait a bit for Ruddles at £1.95, I am not that proud

Arwkrite can be pretty acidic when crossed but will also praise those who do a damn good job. I visited the Kings Fee, Hereford the second of my available JDWs. Quick service, fast food and all with a smile and a polite word. The tables were cleared as well. Well done everyone it has put me in a better frame of mind

Spritzer Swallower

Kids are the problem in wetherspoons. I appreciate the good range of usually well kept ales at reasonable prices, also a quiet atmosphere without music where you can enjoy a few pints in the afternoon and a read of the paper. Recently in several JDW pubs that I have visited the quiet relaxing atmosphere has been spoiled by screaming kids accompanied by parents who just don't give a damn about the disturbance and disruption being caused to other customers.
    A number of times over the last few months I have been driven from my table to go and try to find a seat where I can drink without the shrill screaming of those kids.
    They should be kept in a separate area or better still not be allowed in at all.

I seem to recall that JDWs had a recent policy of encouraging mums and toddlers. Around my area the problem has abated, prams being replaced by large mobility scooters. I notice a great many of ladies who lunch or just pop in for coffee clog up the works during daytime hours. I would have thought dedicated coffee shops more their scene to park the Primark bags. Unemployed immigrants are not so noticeable. They hung around in large groups until this year. Pensioners, of whom I am one, make up a large slice of the daytime customer base. These can form noisy parties almost as bad as kids.
    I appreciate that other JDWs in other areas have different problems but a customer through the door is money in the till.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Christmas beer list, and some have started appearing on the pumps. Said to be reducing price down to £1.70 a pint till Christmas.

Tom Woods Jolly Snowman 3.6%
    Caledonian Santa's Little Helper 3.7%
    RCH Steam Sleigh 3.8%
    Belhaven Howells Frosty Bells 4.0%
    Wood's Santa's Tale 4.0%
    Moorhouses Lap Prancer 4.2%
    Nethergate Red Santa 4.2%
    Springhead Rudolph's Ruin 4.2% ** beware - rebadge
    Highgate Stocking Filler 4.3%
    Robinson's Mr Scrooge Humbug Bitter 4.4%
    Daleside Christmas Cracker 4.5%
    Everards Sleighbell 4.5%
    Jennings Redbreast 4.5%
    Titanic Eight Bells 4.5%
    Batemans Rosey Nosey 4.9%
    Mauldons Bah Humbug 4.9%
    Box Steam Christmas Box Blonde 5.0%
    Elgood's Snicklemas 5.0%
    O'Hanlon's Goodwill Bitter 5.0%
    Otter Claus 5.0% ** beware - rebadge
    Palm Biere De Noel 5.0%
    Wooden Hand Elves Bells 5.0%
    Vale Good King Senseless 5.2%
    Hook Norton Twelve Days 5.5
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.