Ads not shown when logged in
Page 23 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by pintplease View Post
    Aqualung...The JDW I use in Leeds increased its guest ale price by 40p per pint from Monday this week. Went from £2.09 to £2.49 equal to 19% increase. New price lists had been printed so it will be interesting to see if they reduce the price by 1p as per budget and then have to reprint the price lists, serve em right for being greedy.
    I've also seen a post on the other site saying that the George in Croydon's premium guests have risen 40p to £2.65 so I'm guessing that they are targetting the busier Spoons with a big increase. I'll be visiting two other East London ones on Friday so we'll see what's what then. The more important point about the budget was that the duty DIDN'T rise as expected and the beer duty escalator has been scrapped. A reduction of 72p on the cost price of a firkin which probably costs well over fifty quid is only going to result in a price drop as part of a marketing gimmick. Osborne's remark that he expects the penny saving to be passed on is ludicrous.

There seems to be some confusion in news web sites which are claiming that the ALCOHOL duty escalator has been scrapped. My reading of it was that it only applied to beer. I hope someone can clarify this point.

Yep, Beer duty escalator is scrapped, all other alcohol - wines spirits and cider increased by 2% above inflation (2.7% so 4.7%)

The main theme to draw is the lack of price rises. Trouble is this is a traditional time of year to raise prices in pubs, as everyone grumbles about a duty increase but at least they expect it and so publicans can increase their prices and justify it along with other costs in the business. Now that has been taken away they are left with a quandary: do I raise prices because everything is more expensive or do I stay the same as duty hasn't increased?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

There seems to be some confusion in news web sites which are claiming that the ALCOHOL duty escalator has been scrapped. My reading of it was that it only applied to beer. I hope someone can clarify this point.
    You can get the whole thing here but the relevant bit says

"Alcohol duty
    1.176 The Government is committed to supporting communities as well as individual households. The Government has already taken action to support community pubs through the reduction in both the small profits rate and the corporation tax rate, and regulatory changes to make it easier for pubs to play live music.

1.177 To provide further support to community pubs, Budget 2013 announces that general beer duty will be reduced by 2 per cent from 25 March 2013. The Government will then cancel the escalator for beer duty next year and instead increase it by inflation thereafter. Tax on average strength beer will be 1 penny lower after Budget 2013, saving beer drinkers 4 pence a pint in 2013-14 compared to the previous government’s plans. Duty on high and low strength beer will also be adjusted to reduce the tax on a typical product by 1 penny a pint from 25 March 2013. The Government will shortly respond to its alcohol consultation, including with proposals to deal with deeply-discounted alcohol in supermarkets and other stores."

It's a lttle clearer in his speech:

"Mr Deputy Speaker, there’s another duty escalator – the annual two percent above inflation increases in alcohol. We’re looking at plans to stop the biggest discounts of cheap alcohol at retailers. But responsible drinkers – and our pubs - should not pay the price for the problems caused by others. The sad fact is that we’ve lost 10,000 pubs in the UK over the last decade. Many HM’s have raised their concerns with me like my HF for Bristol North West. My HF for Burton and Uttoxeter in particular has been a committed champion of the famous brewing industry that employs many of his constituents.

I intend to maintain the planned rise for all alcohol duties – with the exception of beer. We will now scrap the beer duty escalator altogether.

And instead of the 3p rise in beer duty tax planned for this year I am cancelling it altogether. That’s the freeze people have been campaigning for. But I’m going to go one step further and I am going to cut beer duty by 1p. We’re taking a penny off a pint. The cut will take effect this Sunday night and I expect it to be passed on in full to customers.

All other duties will remain as previously announced.
    "

Spritzer Swallower

Is it only us unfortunate casualties of Leeds JDW that are suffering a 19% per pint increase ? What is the situation in other parts of the country ?. Come on Tim Martin tell us why you are punishing your regulars in Leeds.

Many thanks to The Honourable Member OldBoots for the detailed reply!

Is it only us unfortunate casualties of Leeds JDW that are suffering a 19% per pint increase ? What is the situation in other parts of the country ?. Come on Tim Martin tell us why you are punishing your regulars in Leeds.
    As I mentioned in my post earlier today, apparently the same has happened at the George in Croydon so Leeds isn't being persecuted! If someone had told me 30 or more years ago that a pub in Leeds was selling beers over 30p a pint more than one in London (in those days London prices were sky high compared to up North) I would not have believed them.

I'll find out tomorrow what two other East London Spoons have done and if it's the big 18-19% increase I'll check out a third one.

I visited the Wanstead George today to find that they have applied a blanket increase of 20p (under 10%) to the three price bands.

The Walnut Tree in Leytonstione seems to have gone for the lesser increase as their menu stated Guest Ales from £2.15 (up from £2.09). However they do seem to have a different definition of a premium beer as my 4.8% punt was classed as premium at £2.30. There were no price labels on the pumps which I find rether annoying, apart from the solitary pump selling the boring London Pride at a colossal £2.95.

The Last Post in Loughton appears to have had the 20p increase making Standard Guests £2.29. However they are now stocking the ubiquitous Doombar at a shocking £3.05 price tag. I just hope the Essex locals do the right thing by ignoring it completely and allowing it to turn to vinegar.

"application to open a new venue in Oakham town centre"
    http://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/new...kham-1-4942486
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The Shrewsbury Hotel (JD Wetherspoon) was rammed on Saturday , with JDWs usual understaffing they managed to run out of glasses
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !