Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Hybrid View

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Wetherspoon's news of the day

Wetherspoon to create 10,000 jobs in 250 new pubs

Hopefully will be new pubs rather than refurbished ones, good to see a pub bucking the trend though, and Arkrite often had good things to say about the service he received.

Saw it on Teletext this morning. Great news as I am huge fan of Wetherspoon (Purely for Real Ales and affordable)

Reminds me I must go to Derby as soon as possible and visit this new Wetherspoon which I just found out yesterday.. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/67840/

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Wetherspoon to create 10,000 jobs in 250 new pubs

Hopefully will be new pubs rather than refurbished ones, good to see a pub bucking the trend though, and Arkrite often had good things to say about the service he received.
    Knowing spoons, each job will be a 1-hour contract per week, so still only 2 people on at any one time
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I saw the news as well, in fact Conrad beat me to it by posting

I always used to dislike the 'spoons pubs, large noisy caverns as far as my experiences, however the refurb of Mucky Duck [aka White Swan] in Pompey changed my views

Good luck to them

On similar sort of note, heresy to pub trade from boss of Coors, he reckons some pubs fail because publicans do what they want & not what customer wants, and some rants ratings on PG would seem to bear this out

"The more diplomatic say establishments fail because they do not meet customer needs.

Others less subtly argue it is because they are "just crap". "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8162943.stm

Bit off message, surely should be blaming, tax, parking, supermarkets etc?

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I dont mind a spoons , its just for every good one there are 3 bad ones , the one in Telford is like a well furnished canteen and your lucky if they have 3 real ales on , not the normal 6-8 you get in the Shrewsbury ones .

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

3? 3? That's a real ale mecca! The reason I enquired of Conrad (or it may have been Dave) when we'd be able to post multiple reviews was to slate the Lynd Cross in Horsham - frequently offers just 2 - one from the usual dreary range, the other from W.J. King. Not that you'd know it from a trip down the bar - in a beery kind of "here's what you could have had", all the clips are lined up facing the disappointed / pi$$ed off punter.

Mind you, I did make it in one day during the recent Beer Fest, and there were 6 or more on offer. Not a place I could recommend, all in all.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Have to admit I am not a great fan of the 2 Wetherspoons I have used in Bristol - The Berkeley and The Knights Templar. That said I am happy enough to go into either, and The Knights is handy when meeting people at the train station.

Also infinitely better than some of the other chains, at least they have some personality unlike the Pitcher & Piano, which seems to be a favourite after work haunt for many in the center of Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    I dont mind a spoons , its just for every good one there are 3 bad ones , the one in Telford is like a well furnished canteen and your lucky if they have 3 real ales on , not the normal 6-8 you get in the Shrewsbury ones .
    Babington Arms in Derby regularly sells 8 or more. Proving they are more popular than much bigger Standing Order (More for eating than drinking)

My own local wetherspoons (Silk Kite and The Bolebridge) often sells 6 to 8 and Iam more than happy as long it is quality and drinkable

On off days, wetherspoon may forced to sell just one or two real ales as it happened to my local wetherspoon few times.

I guess Wetherspoons cant please everyone 24/7..

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Walkabouts are the same as i describe my laptop to my wife a BAG OF SHIT.
    Or Dell as they're often known😉

Just Missed the Round

Not sure if the issue here is the installation of cellar equipment, rising prices, or both. But either way, you'd think a contract between two big players would be fairly clear on what you would expect be fairly basic fundamental aspects of a supply agreement.

https://beernouveau.co.uk/spoons-vs-ab-inbev/