Page 84 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

"using a screwdriver, before removing a metal container "
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8489346.html
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "using a screwdriver, before removing a metal container "
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8489346.html
    I don't believe this story. I've been in a JDW when the maintenance man has been attending to one of these machines and as soon as he opened it a very loud alarm went off which he took some time to silence. To add to that, all the ones I've bothered to look at have a huge padlocked iron or steel bar guarding them so unless this bloke had Doctor Who's Sonic Screwdriver I don's see how that tool could gain access to the money. The whole thing seems far fetched to me!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't believe this story. I've been in a JDW when the maintenance man has been attending to one of these machines and as soon as he opened it a very loud alarm went off which he took some time to silence. To add to that, all the ones I've bothered to look at have a huge padlocked iron or steel bar guarding them so unless this bloke had Doctor Who's Sonic Screwdriver I don's see how that tool could gain access to the money. The whole thing seems far fetched to me!
    Can't speak for JDWs but I know a few years back my local, Fullers, had it's fruit machine broken into while pub was open.

A group "distraction" theft, split bar, one barmaid, lunchtime, the women went on & on about menu with barmaid, men playing pool in games area, where fruit machine is. No alarms on machine. They opened it up & nicked the cash
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire

I fear St. Pancras' management has messed up big-time with allowing this outlet to open. Part of the appeal of the station's redevelopment was to turn it into a tranquil and pleasant shopping space with no fast food vendors or mass entertainment spaces. Pancras Road won't look attractive with dozens of smokers pouring out onto it and when the rowdy football crowds are in town, this section of the station may become a no-go area - I doubt the local businesses at this end of the station are looking forward to this arrival one little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I fear St. Pancras' management has messed up big-time with allowing this outlet to open. Part of the appeal of the station's redevelopment was to turn it into a tranquil and pleasant shopping space with no fast food vendors or mass entertainment spaces. Pancras Road won't look attractive with dozens of smokers pouring out onto it and when the rowdy football crowds are in town, this section of the station may become a no-go area - I doubt the local businesses at this end of the station are looking forward to this arrival one little bit.
    I think you're getting a station Spoons confused with the older high street outlets. Unless there's an entrance directly onto St Pancras Way there won't be any more smokers than there are now with the entire station area being a no smoking zone. It won't get a sizeable daytime brigade if any at all as it'll be too expensive compared to the suburbs. How does the Betjeman Arms contribute to this "tranquil and pleasant shopping space"? Do they get overrun with rowdy football fans?
    IMO they ruined St Pancras with the conversion by cramming four different lines into an inappropriate two storey station. I bet John Betjeman wouldn't have approved.
    The shops are rubbish but as we keep hearing on the news shopping has been transformed by the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    https://inews.co.uk/video/thief-fruit-machine-filmed/

"The ban will come into force from September 10 with many regular punters reporting spotting signs warning of the change"
    http://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/new...-beer-gardens/

This Space For Hire

"The ban will come into force from September 10 with many regular punters reporting spotting signs warning of the change"
    Depends what's preferable: dogs or some of JDW's regular punters.

Our terrier's now to be unfullfilled ambition:to drag me kicking and screaming into https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/74926/ . You know I'm no 'Spoons man.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Depends what's preferable: dogs or some of JDW's regular punters.
    Dogs.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields