Ads not shown when logged in
Page 109 of 145 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1447

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    and were frequently the only place you could find to eat at, especially in provincial towns.
    There were always plenty of places to eat, just that JDWs were the only ones where you could have a pint of beer too outside hotels and places like Berni Inns.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 21-10-2019 at 09:20.

apart from listing Suburbiton as well as Hook (William Stanley/Grid/Lady St Helier/Windmill/Tigers Head were the ones you queried).
    I knew I would forget about one of the closures (William Stanley). The other four you mention were hardly recent closures with the Grid being the most recent (2011). Spare a thought for Tottenham which has had six closed down over many years plus a few nearby. I forgot to mention that some of the closures are purely down to a bigger and better outlet opening nearby.

Who was the associate? If it was that bloke Marler I was under the impression that he disappeared in very early days.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

Who was the associate? If it was that bloke Marler I was under the impression that he disappeared in very early days.
    Chris Braun, of Van de Berg - see here
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Chris Braun, of Van de Berg - see here
    Thanks for that, I'd missed out on that story. Many of the closures are and have been down to excessive rents. The Mardi Gras in the Trafford Shopping Centre had a rent dispute but it seems to have gone quiet.

This Space For Hire

Those of a nervous disposition may need a drink of one of Timmyboys's stronger brews before scrolling down to the thousand words* telling picture.

*Well maybe five words beginning "What a pair of" repeated 200 times.

JD Wetherspoon may have breached law over 1.9m Brexit beer mats

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Those of a nervous disposition may need a drink of one of Timmyboys's stronger brews before scrolling down to the thousand words* telling picture.

*Well maybe five words beginning "What a pair of" repeated 200 times.

JD Wetherspoon may have breached law over 1.9m Brexit beer mats

I seem to recall questioning years ado whether all the propaganda was above board and now we know it probably wasn't. Given that most of the staff in their pubs are quite young it's highly probable that they don't agree with his views and it's an abuse of his position to expect them to distribute his propaganda. I've a suspicion that some outlets might have just binned the beer mats. I wonder if the beer mat collecting brigade regard these as prized pieces?

This Space For Hire

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    There's worse than that lot ...https://www.theguardian.com/business...investors-told

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Oh yes, you're right. It does get worse!

Default JDW carry on Ireland (an EU country) expansion.

Despite Mullet Man's opposition to the EU he seems quite happy opening new Eire outlets. Earlier in the year saw an outlet in Carlow which is somewhere South of Dublin. The original three Dublin outlets are all well outside the centre but this year saw the opening of one not far East from the O' Connell Bridge. This month has seen them buy up Bar HQ in Hanover Quay near Great Canal Square which is near the Southern bank of the Liffey in the East of Dublin City. Next year should see the opening of their Camden Street hotel which is just to the South of the centre. There are also rumours of a new outlet in Waterford.