Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Is it still beer if it is at that high an abv? I am trying to think what makes it a beer, presumably it has to be brewed without distillation or fortification?

Can you really get something that strong without purifying it in some way?

Sorry, really showing my scientist roots here.
    From the Morning Advertiser 26.11.09:

'The whopping 32% abv Tactical Nuclear Penguin began life as a 10% imperial stout 18 months ago. It was then aged for 8 months in an Isle of Arran whisky cask and 8 months in an Islay cask, making it the brewer’s first double cask aged beer.

The final stages involved storing the beer at 120 degrees for three weeks to get it to 32% abv. It was put into containers in the cold store of a local ice cream factory where it endured 21 days at penguin temperatures, explained the company'.

I must admit I'm curious to try it.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Yes, read my review on the GW

The Duke of York, i hear, re-opens this Saturday - i hoped to be there, but looks like i have a trip to Solihull booked instead, so will do asap, along with the re-opened H&J
    This Sat? Darn, I have to be at Tamworth Football on Sat. Will try and visit DoY sometime next week..

Oh Solihull is pretty poor place to drink in (Apart fro, two Wetherspoons)

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Oh Solihull is pretty poor place to drink in (Apart fro, two Wetherspoons)
    So i hear, but we are going out to the Case is Altered first - its a mate's birthday - and it's been twenty odd years since i drank in Solihull
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Yes, it is and yes, i am sure you can, as the first time i did it OB, i did the two by bus (along with others) - i just dont know which one, but will find out
    It's the 242 from Dudley to the Old Swan (6mins) I have been researching for my sojorn in the Black Country (well a night on the electric soup). It will be Monday the 14th December and I plan to stay over in Dudley, I'll PM you with the details if you fancy a trip. Anyone else who fancies a few pints let us know.

I've ordered a bottle of penguin, and look forward to sampling it on christmas day with anyone in the bar. There'll be a token donation from everyone sampling to cover the cost (don't forget there's P&P @ £6 odd for it!) but as it's a record-breaking brew that everyone wants banned I feel the need to try it. The Tokyo* that they brewed was 18.2%, and got banned after the 'guy in charge of stuff' (official title) at the brewery wrote to the portman group himself to complain about the beer. A brilliant piece of marketing IMO...

Just for the record, if anyone wondered what the Portman group can do to anyone who ignores them banning a drink, it is:

Yep, absolutely nothing. In law they have no teeth what-so-ever. Good to know all that alcohol tax gets spent sensibly

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    I've ordered a bottle of penguin, and look forward to sampling it on christmas day with anyone in the bar.
    Can I come?

On serious note, Penguin would be disaster for their company as £30 quid plus P&P would not entice people buying them. Simply too expensive for a bottle of real ale (Or port or whatever you call it)

I wouldnt mind paying half pint of Penguin at bar (which it will not happen) for something like £5 or silmiar but not £30 a bottle!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Chances are at that strenth its going to be like drinking alcholic syrup

I thought brandy balloons would be suitable given the strength of it. around 10 glasses to the bottle works out at a little over a double shot per glass - thats if I can find 10 people that want to try it!

I thought brandy balloons would be suitable given the strength of it. around 10 glasses to the bottle works out at a little over a double shot per glass - thats if I can find 10 people that want to try it!
    I can think of 10 .
    Did you order one of the £30 bottles or one of the £250 bottles with a free share in the brewery and will it arrive as there's only 250 bottles of each?

I can't order one as my wife was shocked when I bought a bottle of Westvleteren for £12 last month

At the price and strength of this product I consider yours is the proper way to handle it. The brandy balloons are a nice touch.People will probably be happy to pay for a double, they do daft things at Christmas.
    I can see the only people being able to afford to drink it by the bottle will be Investment Bankers from RBS. Makes a change from bottles of Moet et Chandon I suppose.
    Thanks for the info on Portman..often heard it refered to never really understood their job ( or lack of it).
    I see the Bay Horse in Bromyard has Rosey Nosey on tap but not yet tempted.