Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week

Talk of Davenports got me all nostalgic for good times in Bristol in the late 70s/early 80s, as I recall we used to drink Davenports in "The Scotsman and his Pack" on St Michaels Hill.

I dug out this photo taken in about 1981 in Redlands, Bristol. The Davenports bridge was a bit of a local landmark.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Talk of Davenports got me all nostalgic for good times in Bristol in the late 70s/early 80s, as I recall we used to drink Davenports in "The Scotsman and his Pack" on St Michaels Hill.

I dug out this photo taken in about 1981 in Redlands, Bristol. The Davenports bridge was a bit of a local landmark.
    1981.. I was 3 year old that time! Anyway Iam suprised to see Brum based brewery would go far as Bristol!

You can still buy Davenport's ales from ASDA

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Anyway Iam suprised to see Brum based brewery would go far as Bristol!
    It probably goes back to the days of the Great Western Railway although in the 1970s/80s it was largely Courage beers all over Bristol. You could get Mitchells & Butlers in Bath at that time as well.

I checked the GBG for where Davenports is now brewed, apparently it's Highgate and the spooky thing is they also brew Smiles another beer I used to drink in Bristol in the olden days - of course Smiles was brewed in Bristol then.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Davenports was a pretty big company at one time 130ish tied pubs + 600ish freetrade and they used to do home deliveries
    I had heard a rumour Highgate in Walsall were being commisoned to start brewing it again , doubt it will taste the same as it used to .
    Back in the early -mid 80s Greenalls ran riot through the midlands brewing industry , buying and then closing any brewery they could get there hands on

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    It probably goes back to the days of the Great Western Railway although in the 1970s/80s it was largely Courage beers all over Bristol. You could get Mitchells & Butlers in Bath at that time as well.

I checked the GBG for where Davenports is now brewed, apparently it's Highgate and the spooky thing is they also brew Smiles another beer I used to drink in Bristol in the olden days - of course Smiles was brewed in Bristol then.
    Apparently Highgate is in deep trouble.. http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?storyCode=65188

Iam still trying to remember name of pub which Highgate own in Brum, anyway it has 3 or 4 own brew which is outstanding.

Being Walsall born Highgate Brewery is close to my heart.I was going to use its logo as my avatar until I realised it was still going.The more you dig into the story of it going bust and the subsequent sale the stranger it sounds.The brewery appeared to have some big name customers in 2008.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Apparently Highgate is in deep trouble.. http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?storyCode=65188

Iam still trying to remember name of pub which Highgate own in Brum, anyway it has 3 or 4 own brew which is outstanding.
    The City Tavern in Brum is Highgate/Davenports - Jewellers Arms in Hockley also sells Highgate and i believe was their bigest seller at one point.

The brewery did re-finance a few months ago, going into and out of administration with in a few days. As far as i know, they are safe.

The brewery was saved by WWII, M&B took it over in 1939 and when war broke out they decided to keep the brewery open (were going to sell it off and closed pubs etc) due to the fact that they would get twice the rations if they kept it open as a separate company.

Highgate MILD is class
    Last edited by Soup Dragon; 14-12-2009 at 08:25.
    MILD:

Well would you believe it. Highgate saved by Hitler ,although he was probably unaware of the fact. If things had turned out different we could well be drinking litres of Pils while wearing itchy leather shorts. ( May be some of you do but I dont think it a suitable subject for an open forum )
    The Davenports pub I remember is The Running Horse just outside Bewdly. Last time I went it was one of those places with specials boards all over the walls and a stack of baby high chairs. Cannot remember what the beer was.
    In the 50's Dad, when we lived in Walsall and Brownhills, had a wooden case of six or eight bottles of Davenports beer delivered at home as the advert used to say.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    In the 50's Dad, when we lived in Walsall and Brownhills, had a wooden case of six or eight bottles of Davenports beer delivered at home as the advert used to say.
    Beer at home means Davenports
    Thats the beer, lots of cheer.......
    MILD:

It might well have been stout in the bottles. My Mom suffered ill health about that time and the doctor recommended she drink stout as a tonic.I also remember bottles of tonic wine ( "Halls" brand ? ) and Advocat.
    Hhhmmm.....on second thoughts perhaps she just had a drink problem.