Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Beer of the Week

Hybrid View

Default Beer of the Week

OK it's a bit of an old chestnut but who's tasted a really good beer this week, you know the ones "an angel weeping on your tongue" and all that stuff.

I had some McMullens Rocket when in Derby with Soup Dragon and was impressed, I tried it again in a local pub this weekend and it was still a mighty ale so I'm making it my "Beer of the Week".

Exclamation marstons owd roger .. my beer of my week ..

i live near Cottingham in E.Yorks .. its a small village with one or two good pubs .. one being The Tiger .. omly one handpull .. Bass .. but its well worth the visit to this old drinkers type pub .. just across the road however is one of a chain of off licences called Rythym and Booze .. its a kind of Wetherspoons of beeroffs .. good deals on lots of beers wines and lagers .. this weeks special offering was Marstons Owd Roger .. a 7.6% strong ale .. 4 for £4.50 .. each a full half litre of rich winter warmer type ale .. very moorish .. so though drinking at home is not quite as sociable as the pub experience .. this addictively drinkable ale at half the pubs prices makes a more than acceptable second best .. please excuse my spelling mistakes .. cant find the spellcheck .. might be due to the Owd Roger of course ..

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Been drinking at home this week , saving up for birthday next week . Beer has been limited to a couple bottles Wye Valley Butty Bach , lovely stuff .
    Should i admit this on here but its been mostly red wine this week , Barbera d asti , as i type . I put a load of reviews on last night under the influence of a bottle of White Port , dont know if i dare read them

I had cracking Czech bitter (MILD in Soupy's case ) in local Wetherspoon. Name of beer escapes me..

Anyway.. it is poor man's Old Peculiar. What a cracking ale! Tastes exactly the same as Old Peculiar and I cant tell the difference. I loved so much that I drank 5 more pints and bit tipsy at the end .

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    I had cracking Czech bitter (MILD in Soupy's case ) in local Wetherspoon. Name of beer escapes me..

Anyway.. it is poor man's Old Peculiar. What a cracking ale! Tastes exactly the same as Old Peculiar and I cant tell the difference. I loved so much that I drank 5 more pints and bit tipsy at the end .
    Old Peculiar used to be my favorite beer back in the 80s , can`t stand it now .
    Also used to love Bankss Bitter and Marstons Pedigree , can`t` face either now , must be an age thing .

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Also used to love Bankss Bitter and Marstons Pedigree , can`t` face either now , must be an age thing .
    I used to drink Caffery's.. cant stand it now!

I dont drink ANY blonde ales (eg Summer lighting).. prefer dark, stout and I dare to say... MILD

Wink Tinkering

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    The breweries must tinker with the recipes from time to time, I know my local brewey, Otley, does this. I haven't been out to the pub this week, so my beer of the week is Asda Whitechapel Porter... brewed by Shepherd Neame, and just £1 a bottle.