Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Weymouth

Real Ale Drinker

Default Weymouth

I've booked a short break in Weymouth later in the month. It's a new area for me and I wondered if anyone has any recommendations. I'm really looking for traditional drinking pubs with good ales. Not particularly bothered about food !
    I've heard of the Dorothy but apparently it's not as good as it used to be.
    Also, any recommendations nearby reachable by public transport would be welcomed.
    Cheers guys

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Hi Grailhunter

It's a long time since I've been out for a drink in Weymouth, but I always remember the Boot Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/10140/) as a favourite.

I'd really recommend the Royal Standard in Upwey (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/10229/), which can be reached from Weymouth by train and probably bus as well. They are a brew pub nowadays and although I've not yet managed to try any of their own beers, I'm told they're pretty good. They have a website here:
    http://www.theroyalstandardupwey.co.uk/

Beer-wise, Weymouth has it's own brewery - DBC (Dorset Brewing Company) - and I believe the Duke of Cornwall stocks their beers on a regular basis. I would personally recommend anything from Palmer's Brewery of Bridport which you will probably come across. They are one of my favourite family brewers and their beers tend not to make it out of Dorset often(the Lamb and Flag in Oxford being a notable exception).

Hope you enjoy your time as a bona-fide grockle!

PSM

Second the Royal Standard, although out of the town a bit. Duke of Cornwall is a good free house, as is the Globe, Weatherbury is to the the north of the Town Centre and worth a visit. The Boot is a marstons pub and sell good pints of Ringwood. A couple of pubs on Portland are worth going to - The Royal Portland Arms (Fortuneswell) and the New Inn, Easton which is on the top of the hill.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I would personally recommend anything from Palmer's, hey are one of my favourite family brewers and their beers tend not to make it out of Dorset often(the Lamb and Flag in Oxford being a notable exception).
    You've been to Addiscombe's Claret though Psm, same Palmer's there I presume?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    You've been to Addiscombe's Claret though Psm, same Palmer's there I presume?
    Yes, it's a regular in there too - in fact the Claret sells more Palmer's Best than any other pub outside of Dorset. It also appears in their sister pub in Cheam.