Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Completed site release (The areas release)

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I take that back, this one is a bug. I will investigate later. Bl**dy knackered now and it is beer O'Clock
    Hope you enjoyed your beer.

I've found another Shropshire pub at the bottom of the Lancashire page...and Cornwall...and Derbyshire...and an Essex pub in Rutland...and a Lincolnshire pub in Wiltshire. OK, I'll stop looking now.

Don't know if there is a pattern which might help you to identify the source of the glitch? It seems to be the "Recently added pubs for..." feature is just randomly plucking any old pub just to fill the space. Hope it's an easy fix.
    Come On You Hatters!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Sorry to bother you again Conrad,

I have just been on the Dronfield list as i was looking at pubs in Holmefield how do you get a seperate list for pubs in Dronfield without the Holmsfield and apperknole pubs.
    I look at places like Dronfield to see if its worth going there to do a pub crawl but it is now hard work seeing which pubs are in which town or village.

Thanks Alan
    If you look at the top of the Dronfield page, the first section is 'Areas in the Postal Town of Dronfield':
    Apperknowle, Barlow, Holmesfield

Click on any of them to get to the areas. Not the greatest example in terms of quantity, but that is how it works. It is at the top to try and get you off the page to those areas really. You can also click on any name where they appear in the Coverage portion of the pub list.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Hope you enjoyed your beer.

I've found another Shropshire pub at the bottom of the Lancashire page...and Cornwall...and Derbyshire...and an Essex pub in Rutland...and a Lincolnshire pub in Wiltshire. OK, I'll stop looking now.

Don't know if there is a pattern which might help you to identify the source of the glitch? It seems to be the "Recently added pubs for..." feature is just randomly plucking any old pub just to fill the space. Hope it's an easy fix.
    Beer in this instance is initially home for a cup of tea, but we will see how it evolves

You have identified it correctly, I should have said, it is the latest pubs wherever it appears on a county page, I am guessing it is actually getting its area and county id's mixed up, I would be surprised if it takes more than 10 minutes to find once I get in there. Excellent analysis!

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    We need postal districts to have central areas added to them, so a Nottingham Central. Once this has happened up and down the country I am hoping the 'Nottingham Postal District' page (and equivalent) will become largely redundant. But until then I think it is going to be a little messy being honest.
    I have taken a stab at creating Bristol Central, which hopefully gives an idea of what we are aiming for with the larger cities.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just uploaded a fix for the bug reported by Alan and sheffield hatter. Counties should show more sensible results for their newly added pubs.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just uploaded a fix for the bug reported by ROBCamra.

Thanks for those.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Guys,
    Just wanted to say well done,the new release is a very elegant solution and ,from my point of view,is a considerable enhancement to an already fantastic website.The logic shines through.The city centres roll out will also help itinerant boozers like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I have taken a stab at creating Bristol Central, which hopefully gives an idea of what we are aiming for with the larger cities.
    I've started on Sheffield Central. Can you please let me know if I am doing it right. I've started at the Bath Hotel and worked towards the city centre as far as Jocosa. Presumably you will be creating the Sheffield Central area on the main Sheffield page?

Looking back at some pubs that I've marked as being in Attercliffe, I note that the Britannia now has the address 26 Worksop Road, Sheffield S9 3TJ (which is as I would expect) but the Greyhound has 822 Attercliffe Road, Attercliffe, Postal town: Sheffield S9 3RS. I thought I had done the same actions on all of these, but the results are inconsistent. Grateful if you could put me right.

Anyway, enough for now. I'm off to check if the Bath Hotel is still where I put it.

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!

Hi Conrad and Dave,

Birmingham Central existed prior to the change, albeit without a title stating so. Is it possible to move everything under Birmingham, which has no assigned coverage, to Birmingham Central?

... and the same principle for Walsall please

Cheers

Andy
    Waes hael!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've started on Sheffield Central. Can you please let me know if I am doing it right. I've started at the Bath Hotel and worked towards the city centre as far as Jocosa. Presumably you will be creating the Sheffield Central area on the main Sheffield page?

Looking back at some pubs that I've marked as being in Attercliffe, I note that the Britannia now has the address 26 Worksop Road, Sheffield S9 3TJ (which is as I would expect) but the Greyhound has 822 Attercliffe Road, Attercliffe, Postal town: Sheffield S9 3RS. I thought I had done the same actions on all of these, but the results are inconsistent. Grateful if you could put me right.

Anyway, enough for now. I'm off to check if the Bath Hotel is still where I put it.

Cheers
    The Greyhound Inn wasn't added by you to Attercliffe (I am assuming we added it at your request prior to this release, I hope this is the case anyway as that is what the audits imply). To get the address to reflect Attercliffe that is the portion of the form that is under the heading 'Main area', select Attercliffe in the drop down and then click set.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Hi Conrad and Dave,

Birmingham Central existed prior to the change, albeit without a title stating so. Is it possible to move everything under Birmingham, which has no assigned coverage, to Birmingham Central?

... and the same principle for Walsall please

Cheers

Andy
    I would prefer not to, I feel safer electively adding to locations rather than election by omission (if that makes any sense). Certainly in the past we were resistant to adding areas that were just outside the Central area (mainly as when we added them to an area it had to appear in the address as implied by sheffield hatter's answer) whereas with the new system we are happy for those to exist, so we may have created our own issues with our previous attitude. If you scroll down the Birmingham page any pub which doesn't have the 'Coverage' line under it is basically what you are suggesting.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I read through the first post last night and didn't really understand it, read it this morning and still wasn't sure. However I've had a go and added Portobello and Leith as areas of Edinburgh and shoved a few pubs in there, hope it works and I've done it right. It's a shame you couldn't retain the data from the old sub-districts set-up (I think they were called that) as everything now seems to be thrown into a larger postal town pot. I think the issue will be that until people go in and start setting up the surrounding area pages (and it does rely on a big amount of personal/local knowledge) there are going to be whole swathes of the country that look a bit confusing. Is it possible that they may also appear to be non existent as well, for instance if I searched for pubs in Portobello before I'd set up the area I'm guessing it wouldn't have returned anything. Just tried this with Newington, another sub-district of Edinburgh, and it doesn't recognise it as having any pubs.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.