Ads not shown when logged in
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Completed site release (The areas release)

Conrad,

I've been trying to improve the Lake District areas by putting individual village pubs in larger areas defined by the valleys in which they are found. Thus the pubs in Pooley Bridge, Patterdale and Glenridding are now also in Ullswater, the three pubs in Boot are also in Eskdale, and the three pubs in Stonethwaite, Rosthwaite and Seatoller are also in Borrowdale.

However, in one instance this has resulted in a change to the pub's address: The Langstrath Country Inn is now shown as being at Borrowdale in Stonethwaite, rather than at Stonethwaite in Borrowdale. (Ideally, Borrowdale should not be part of the address at all.) Is this just random or as a result of an error on my part? Can you correct it at your end or is there a fix I can do?

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    i now have a mad urge to drink some Purple Moose
    Never a mad urge!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Have I broken something here

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/st...entral-london/

possibly because there is already a St James's Park area and I made a St James's? Parsing error?

Just made a St John's Wood with similar effect
    A problem at our end to do with apostrophes, they are not technically allowed in the address and I was mishandling them. The St James's link has been changed and any new areas will be handled correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    However, in one instance this has resulted in a change to the pub's address: The Langstrath Country Inn is now shown as being at Borrowdale in Stonethwaite, rather than at Stonethwaite in Borrowdale. (Ideally, Borrowdale should not be part of the address at all.) Is this just random or as a result of an error on my part? Can you correct it at your end or is there a fix I can do?
    Basically the street of the pub had been set to be Borrowdale, presumably just a way to get the pub into the system as it has no street. We have blanked it for the moment, which is not ideal, but doesn't cause major problems for now.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Never a mad urge!
    Good timing , they had Calon Lan on in the Crown , loveeeellllyy(thats welsh , that is)
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Conrad/Dave,

The facility to have all pubs in the same 'coverage' listed together is great because, for instance, if I want to update Birmingham central I can print off just one list..... but ! a print of one page is a little unwieldy because of everything else that is on a PG page. Even with printing a selected area the details for each pub takes up a couple of lines. Would it be possible to develop a print friendly option for each page so that I can print one line per pub showing its name and address and whether it has a photo, a review or a rating?

Similarly, if I print the map view page, the map and list of pubs shown on it are always printed on separate sheets. Is a print-friendly all-on-one-page option possible for maps and the list of corresponding pubs?
    Waes hael!

I've twisted myself all over the place in the last two days trying to do some of London that I know and the more beers I have more the parameters change... AAAAAARGH!!!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'm still a bit confused about the allocation of an area if it is the name of a borough. Barnet, as an example, is a London Borough, but also a real place. I think that my question is, should every pub in Greater London have coverage marked against it? dog and duck, barnet, barnet?
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I've been adding these as "coverage areas". If (say) there is a postal town called Barnet then it will probably encompass a larger area then just Barnet proper, so it makes sense to me to give those pubs that are actually in Barnet proper to be allocated "Barnet" as a coverage area. Anyway, the coverage areas don't appear in the address, so the Dog & Duck will only have one Barnet show in its address - i.e. because Barnet is the postal area. That's how it looks to be working - I hope I've got it right.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I've been adding these as "coverage areas". If (say) there is a postal town called Barnet then it will probably encompass a larger area then just Barnet proper, so it makes sense to me to give those pubs that are actually in Barnet proper to be allocated "Barnet" as a coverage area. Anyway, the coverage areas don't appear in the address, so the Dog & Duck will only have one Barnet show in its address - i.e. because Barnet is the postal area. That's how it looks to be working - I hope I've got it right.
    Exactly. To pick somewhere at random, say you were planning an day out investigating Dorking's cultural attractions. As it stands at the moment, if you land here you get presented with links to all the surrounding villages but not Dorking itself - you need to inspect the list of pubs to plan your visit. So it needs someone to create an area called Dorking and stick all the town's pubs in it. I don't think in this example it needs to be qualified by 'town' or anything like that as Dorking is fairly compact - no outlying suburbs to separate out- and the context is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Would it be possible to develop a print friendly option for each page so that I can print one line per pub showing its name and address and whether it has a photo, a review or a rating?

Similarly, if I print the map view page, the map and list of pubs shown on it are always printed on separate sheets. Is a print-friendly all-on-one-page option possible for maps and the list of corresponding pubs?
    I use the "alt-print screen" facility, which enables you to paste a screen shot into a word processor document. This works for both lists and maps. Admittedly not as convenient as a print page option in the website itself, but it works!
    Come On You Hatters!