Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Census

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Even excusing nuclear attacks it seems likely that a few people are going to die after being filled into a census. Potential fun for genealogists in the future trying to compromise the fact that someone died on the 20th March but were then living in their home on 27 March.
    As someone who does Family History / genealogical research may I make a plea on behalf of your unborn descendants?

Please do a paper census return, and what is more make a copy [scan & print it]

The 1911 census became available in January, 100 years after your ancestors filled it in, you can see their handwriting plus signatures and details of the family

Please save your unborn descendants a 100 year wait by copying your 2011 paper return

PS thanks to paper returns I know my great great great grandfather was blind in 1861, information I would never know without a census return, so go on, do a paper one & make a copy
    Last edited by Farway; 09-03-2011 at 15:15. Reason: PS added

I know from the 1901 census that my great grandfather was in Bournemouth prison!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Or do what I did, fill it in on the paper one first then transfer the info to the on line one, and file the paper one!

Simples!!

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Or do what I did, fill it in on the paper one first then transfer the info to the on line one, and file the paper one!

Simples!!
    Thats what I did yesterday as well because I made a few mistakes on the paper one which I then corrected but it looked a mess. I then done the online one and i will keep the paper one on file good Idea.
    As all the paper ones are going too be scanned into a computer by the ONS I think they will shred them after not keep them like we do at work most documents we get now are scanned then shredded not kept.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    PS thanks to paper returns I know my great great great grandfather was blind in 1861, information I would never know without a census return, so go on, do a paper one & make a copy
    Maybe he just had really bad hand writing!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I dont know if anybody else applied for a job involved with the census. I did, as a collector, which was done on line.

After getting through the initial stage which was only location, eligibility to work in UK etc, i then had to go through what they called the Siftability test. This wasn,t a test it was an examination! It stated it would take about 30 mins and was multi choice based on what you would do in certain fictitious events. IIRC you had to give 3 answer in order of importance to each question.

After 45 mins i was about half way through, according to the links i had to click on for each section, so i gave up and went to the pub. What a load of B******s. All for the princely sum of summat like £8 per hour.

A week or so later i got a email stating that i had an uncompleted application and would i like to continue as they were still looking for people in my area. Unfortunately it was from a no-reply e-address so i could not correspond.

I think the site is still live for collecting jobs in certain areas. If you,ve got an hour or more to kill give it a go. Then again it could be me.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

That sounds like the test I did a few years ago for a Sainsbury's job. It was pages of questions to put in order and for most of them I wanted a new box - none of the above. I started ticking in rotation, a then b then c then a etc.

Didn't get the job.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    I'm stuck on Question 17.
    You don't know whether or not you speak Welsh?

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    You don't know whether or not you speak Welsh?
    Haha! I googled census question 17; I'm now guessing you live in Wales?

(not really...)
    Last edited by Evil Gazebo; 10-03-2011 at 12:34.
    And you can really taste the hops!

I often talk a complete load of b0110cks which could easily be mistaken for welsh.