Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A murder of crows

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default A murder of crows

Other than attempting to come up with the most misleading title on the forum I am looking for an improved group term.

After another little spat about Postal Towns I am looking to try and improve some of the terminology on the main site. At the moment we call sub-divisions of towns - villages, even though they may be towns, villages or just divisions of some form.

So can anyone think of a collective term that more obviously covers both towns and villages?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Other than attempting to come up with the most misleading title on the forum I am looking for an improved group term.

After another little spat about Postal Towns I am looking to try and improve some of the terminology on the main site. At the moment we call sub-divisions of towns - villages, even though they may be towns, villages or just divisions of some form.

So can anyone think of a collective term that more obviously covers both towns and villages?
    Hmm.. I got an excellent idea.

Why not you go to Coleshill and do the door to door survey..

Joking aside.. How about Borough or District?

I had a look in Roget's Thesaurus, fat lot of good that was. I can't think of a one word term that fits the bill, maybe "communities" but that sounds a bit daft. "nearby places" says what it is but isn't exactly snappy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    How about Borough or District?
    So would you accept Coleshill being called a Borough or a District?

Truthfully both would confuse me more than village, as neither for me implies much of an identity.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I had a look in Roget's Thesaurus, fat lot of good that was. I can't think of a one word term that fits the bill, maybe "communities" but that sounds a bit daft. "nearby places" says what it is but isn't exactly snappy.
    Oddly we have to avoid nearby as some of the "places" are nearer other postal towns than the ones they are assigned to .

The whole thing is a bl**dy nightmare, still at least I can share a little.

So would you accept Coleshill being called a Borough or a District?

Truthfully both would confuse me more than village, as neither for me implies much of an identity.

Good point..

Yeah this becoming a nightmare for us affected

Hey Conrad lets leave as it was like before. No point to change everything.

Iam prepared to give this subject to bed..

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

this is a minefield

taking the advice of the domesday book, whose smallest administrative unit would be a balliwick, or sub-manor (under-manor) - you could use sub-settlement to describe anything under whatever level you set - so it could include hamlet, village, town, as long as you state at whatever level you set it at.

Personally - give it up, simply put a disclaimer on the appropriate page saying it is for guidance only!
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

It is a serious question rather than a dig, we aren't about to change from Postal towns as they are simplest.

But if we can find a phrase that makes you think, if I click on this it will show me Coleshill - which admittedly "Show Villages" probably doesn't then it is an improvement. Best I have come up with so far is "show Postal Districts", but I still think villages is probably better if less accurate.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Well I thought of Parish, but then realised this would provoke more problems, like is it in St Marks ot All Saints, so gave up & went to bed

I think perhaps just some sort of guidance that "villages" in large cities means "area" or "district"

Also realised that Pompey can divide into loads more areas, such as Fratton [home of PFC], but reckoned if I did it then there would be no pubs in Portsmouth, they would all be in Villages / districts, more reason to just leave things be

Hey Conrad..Something to calm your nerve about Postal Towns..

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/mo...8ceae8bdc.html

Former Pubs Galore Coder

For some reason my home Internet connection has gone AWOL again (once again Virgin Media showing their fantastic commitment to Customer service). I can see half the video and the half I can see is certainly very amusing.