Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Pub closures in 2011

  1. #11
    The Beerhunter. RogerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dartford, Kentshire near Londinium.
    Posts
    1,975

    Default

    I have heard that both the Crown & Thistle and the Bull have been subject to internal disputes. It is likely they will both reopen at some stage under new mangement in the future but whether they can still keep their glowing reputations is another thing, especially in the case of the Bull which seemed to excell in virtually everything they did.

  2. #12
    This Space For Hire Pubsignman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Croydon and occasionally Dorset
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    The big shock now is that the Bull at Horton Kirby, current Kent Pub of the Year, closed last night without so much as a whimper (they haven't even mentioned anything on their Facebook page). What will happen to it I have no idea but if the Bull can close then there is no hope!
    Blimey - that is a surprise. I very nearly went there on Saturday (opted for the Halfway House in Brenchley instead), so I hope I've not missed my chance to see this place at its best.

  3. #13
    Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nearer than you think
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    I heard a rumour that the Bull in the Barn in Shrewsbury may be closing , its the Salopian brewery tap but they only lease the pub and the rent has gone up to an unmanagable level
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

  4. #14
    Real Ale Drinker Brewguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Martock, Somerset
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Just found out that the Crown & Thistle in Gravesend closes this weekend - a regular CAMRA award winner so not sure of the reasons. Might have to pay it a final visit this week if I can squeeze it in.
    A bit off topic but Phil and Jacki Bennet who were the managers at the time of the Pub of the Year award are now running the Cornubia in Bristol to similar acclaim

  5. #15
    Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nearer than you think
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    I heard a rumour that the Bull in the Barn in Shrewsbury may be closing , its the Salopian brewery tap but they only lease the pub and the rent has gone up to an unmanagable level
    Just found out the Bull in the Barne closed two weeks ago , pity it was a very good pub
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

  6. #16
    I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mainly Sussex but I like to move about
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I have heard that both the Crown & Thistle and the Bull have been subject to internal disputes. It is likely they will both reopen at some stage under new mangement in the future but whether they can still keep their glowing reputations is another thing, especially in the case of the Bull which seemed to excell in virtually everything they did.
    Not been there for a few years, but definitely a great place. "Internal disputes", eh? Love to know more - I though that it was pretty much a one-man band anyway.

  7. #17
    I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mainly Sussex but I like to move about
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    The big shock now is that the Bull at Horton Kirby, current Kent Pub of the Year, closed last night without so much as a whimper (they haven't even mentioned anything on their Facebook page). What will happen to it I have no idea but if the Bull can close then there is no hope!
    A quick search around the net (including an unexpected visit to the place that must not be mentioned) suggests that Garrett & Lynne are off to the Cotswolds (and also that The Bull might be returning to its earlier somewhat lower standards)

  8. #18
    The Beerhunter. RogerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dartford, Kentshire near Londinium.
    Posts
    1,975

    Default

    The closest pub to my house used to be a really good community local where I could be found virtually every night either playing darts or even working behind the bar. I haven't used it much for several years after the long standing landlords left to be replaced by a series of idiots and the place went totally downhill. Familiar story. It closed at the back end of last year but in recent weeks there has been a load of work being done to it. I had heard rumours that it was going to be a modern trendy bar with a new zingy name. It has now just reopened.... as Dartford Funeral Services. I don't intend to visit it in the forseeable future.

  9. #19
    I Keep Mine Hidden Delboy20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    It has now just reopened.... as Dartford Funeral Services. I don't intend to visit it in the forseeable future.
    You hope

    Fingers crossed Roger


    I am a salmon !!

  10. #20
    The Beerhunter. RogerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dartford, Kentshire near Londinium.
    Posts
    1,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Blimey - that is a surprise. I very nearly went there on Saturday (opted for the Halfway House in Brenchley instead), so I hope I've not missed my chance to see this place at its best.
    You will get the chance - it reopens this weekend and the good news is that it is now being run by the woman who used to run the Hope in Carshalton, another excellent pub and quite similar in its approach to the Bull so hopefully, the pub looks to be in safe hands.

Similar Threads

  1. More Oldham Closures
    By Wild Rover in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 10:55
  2. What's Brewing Pub Closures Jan 2011
    By oldboots in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 15:27
  3. Nottingham closures
    By Al 10000 in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-10-2010, 12:30
  4. Folkestone closures
    By Millay in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-02-2010, 21:04
  5. Some more closures
    By Delboy20 in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:07

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •