Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pub closures in 2011

I have heard that both the Crown & Thistle and the Bull have been subject to internal disputes. It is likely they will both reopen at some stage under new mangement in the future but whether they can still keep their glowing reputations is another thing, especially in the case of the Bull which seemed to excell in virtually everything they did.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    The big shock now is that the Bull at Horton Kirby, current Kent Pub of the Year, closed last night without so much as a whimper (they haven't even mentioned anything on their Facebook page). What will happen to it I have no idea but if the Bull can close then there is no hope!
    Blimey - that is a surprise. I very nearly went there on Saturday (opted for the Halfway House in Brenchley instead), so I hope I've not missed my chance to see this place at its best.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I heard a rumour that the Bull in the Barn in Shrewsbury may be closing , its the Salopian brewery tap but they only lease the pub and the rent has gone up to an unmanagable level
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Just found out that the Crown & Thistle in Gravesend closes this weekend - a regular CAMRA award winner so not sure of the reasons. Might have to pay it a final visit this week if I can squeeze it in.
    A bit off topic but Phil and Jacki Bennet who were the managers at the time of the Pub of the Year award are now running the Cornubia in Bristol to similar acclaim

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    I heard a rumour that the Bull in the Barn in Shrewsbury may be closing , its the Salopian brewery tap but they only lease the pub and the rent has gone up to an unmanagable level
    Just found out the Bull in the Barne closed two weeks ago , pity it was a very good pub
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

I have heard that both the Crown & Thistle and the Bull have been subject to internal disputes. It is likely they will both reopen at some stage under new mangement in the future but whether they can still keep their glowing reputations is another thing, especially in the case of the Bull which seemed to excell in virtually everything they did.
    Not been there for a few years, but definitely a great place. "Internal disputes", eh? Love to know more - I though that it was pretty much a one-man band anyway.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

The big shock now is that the Bull at Horton Kirby, current Kent Pub of the Year, closed last night without so much as a whimper (they haven't even mentioned anything on their Facebook page). What will happen to it I have no idea but if the Bull can close then there is no hope!
    A quick search around the net (including an unexpected visit to the place that must not be mentioned) suggests that Garrett & Lynne are off to the Cotswolds (and also that The Bull might be returning to its earlier somewhat lower standards)

The closest pub to my house used to be a really good community local where I could be found virtually every night either playing darts or even working behind the bar. I haven't used it much for several years after the long standing landlords left to be replaced by a series of idiots and the place went totally downhill. Familiar story. It closed at the back end of last year but in recent weeks there has been a load of work being done to it. I had heard rumours that it was going to be a modern trendy bar with a new zingy name. It has now just reopened.... as Dartford Funeral Services. I don't intend to visit it in the forseeable future.

It has now just reopened.... as Dartford Funeral Services. I don't intend to visit it in the forseeable future.
    You hope

Fingers crossed Roger

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Blimey - that is a surprise. I very nearly went there on Saturday (opted for the Halfway House in Brenchley instead), so I hope I've not missed my chance to see this place at its best.
    You will get the chance - it reopens this weekend and the good news is that it is now being run by the woman who used to run the Hope in Carshalton, another excellent pub and quite similar in its approach to the Bull so hopefully, the pub looks to be in safe hands.