Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Cotswolds pubs

Teetotal

Default Cotswolds pubs

My wife and I will be hiking in the Cotswolds from one village to the next in April (we live in Ohio). The villages we will be staying in are Moreton-in-Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water, Guiting Power, Winchombe, Stanton, Broadway, and Chipping Campden. Are there any pubs in those towns that we really shouldn't miss for both ales and food? And any recommended ales that I shouldn't miss. Thanks. Norm

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Only been to Stow on the Wold for a brief visit , stopped off for a bite to eat and a pint on the way to Oxford , stopped here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/12414/ a traditional country pub good beer and decent food , the town is very touristy as are most of the pubs
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I'll stay on me own

Hi Norm H,

There are a few decent pubs in Moreton in the marsh I would recomend the Black Bear this is a Donnington brewery pub and it also does food.

There are about 8 pubs in Stow on the Wold i think the best is the Queens Head this is a Donnington brewery pub which is local to the cotswolds and their beers are well worth drinking.

Bourton on the Water is very touristy and also a very nice place to visit but most of the pubs here are hotels with public bars.

Guiting Power is a small village just outside Stow and there used to be 2 pubs there, The farmers Arms is still there and this is also a Donnington brewery house so the beer should be very nice here.

Whinchcombe is more like a small town and there are about 6 pubs there i hav'nt been there so i car'nt comment on the pubs there.

Stanton is a small village and there is 1 pub there this is called the Mount Inn this is a Donnington brewery house so the beer here should be good.

Broadway is another decent place and there are a few decent pubs here as this is aslo like a small town.

Chipping Campden is a small town and there are about 6 pubs there but i car'nt comment on the pubs has i hav'nt been there.

I would recomend any beers from Donnington or Hook Norton brewerys and try and avoid Greene King IPA this is a common beer and has very little taste to it.

I hope this will help you on your visit to this area of England you wont be dissapointed.

Cheers Alan.

Just a few more to add to the good advice so far,
    Inn on the Marsh, Stow Rd, Moreton on the Marsh;
    Mousetrap, Lansdowne, Bourton on the Water;
    Bakers Arms, Broad Campden;
    Ebrington Arms, Ebrington;
    Fox Inn, The Green, Broadwell

Sadly none have been reviewed here so if you visit any we'd love to hear what you thought of them.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Inn on the Marsh, Stow Rd, Moreton on the Marsh;
    Bakers Arms, Broad Campden;
    Hi Norm, these are the two I was going to mention, as they are both in the Good Beer Guide 2011. I went to the Bakers Arms a few years ago and as well as being a good beer pub, it also did good value food.

My sister used to live just outside Moreton in the Marsh, in a picture postcard pretty village called Blockley. She used to live just across the road from a fine old coaching inn called The Crown. It has changed hands since I was there, but it had a very good reputation for food and might be worth a punt: http://www.crowninncotswolds.co.uk/

Beer wise, I was always partial to a pint of Goff's Jouster.

Enjoy your trip.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Teetotal

Default Thanks!

Just wanted to say thank you for the great suggestions. We'll soon be off to enjoy a pint or two (or maybe a few more). Thanks again.

Norm