Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The History Boys on Tour

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

We start at The Station, A&H, I'll have a Hobgoblin, OB a Deuchars!
    MILD:

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    We start at The Station, A&H, I'll have a Hobgoblin, OB a Deuchars!
    Right, better start saving!

oh! Jeez - wait till OB orders his 743% continental beer (also called meths)
    MILD:

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

oh! Jeez - wait till OB orders his 743% continental beer (also called meths)
    To paraphrase Sir Arnold Bax, I'll try anything once except incest and morris dancing.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    To paraphrase Sir Arnold Bax, I'll try anything once except incest and morris dancing.
    mate, after an OB drink, you will try them as well
    MILD:

mate, after an OB drink, you will try them as well
    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I don't know, you go to the Highlands for two days and everyone starts taking your name in vain and accusing you of misdeeds - it's not as if I was drinking keg

Derby is a great place to drink and we must do a second visit (starting at the Brunswick ), but don't forget there are lots of other places that offer a drinking challenge, some might even sell MILD.

If anyone one is planning a crawl like ours please offer an invitation on PG.

I'll be up in Birmingham next Tuesday (1st) having tutored tastings of 10 beers from Fullers with their Head Brewer, as part of the BII West Midlands Xmas do. The invite came with the wording 'no set finishing time, think along the lines of last man standing!' Did I mention it's a free bar? ESBs all round then!

There is a lovely pub called Bacchus in Birmingham, underneath a fancy hotel by a rolex shop (I wouldn't want to eat there though)

Does anyone have any suggestions of other pubs worthy of dragging myself away from a free bar for? I like Fullers beers, but a whole day of drinking from only one brewery seems a bit of a waste! I should have mentioned - it's in the Old Joint Stock Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    I'll be up in Birmingham next Tuesday (1st) having tutored tastings of 10 beers from Fullers with their Head Brewer, as part of the BII West Midlands Xmas do. The invite came with the wording 'no set finishing time, think along the lines of last man standing!' Did I mention it's a free bar? ESBs all round then!

There is a lovely pub called Bacchus in Birmingham, underneath a fancy hotel by a rolex shop (I wouldn't want to eat there though)

Does anyone have any suggestions of other pubs worthy of dragging myself away from a free bar for? I like Fullers beers, but a whole day of drinking from only one brewery seems a bit of a waste! I should have mentioned - it's in the Old Joint Stock Click Here

If you at the OJS (try naming the statues!), Ed, and assuming you dont want to venture too far, then the Wellington on Bennetts Hill, is on the way to the Bacchus (the former Midland hotel bar, i think), along with a couple of Spoons - Briar Rose and another! the Joint Stock often does a microbrewery (Beowulf often). Alternatively, or as well, you can go down newhall st to the Old Royal and across to the Old Contemptables would be a manageable walk. If too merry, then stick to the welly - has 10 or so real ales. Depends on how many you want to try - you drunk! Also be careful, we have electric light in Birmingham, so you dont need to bring candles
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post

As regular visitor to Brum, I would avoid Bacchus if I was you.. Too tacky and bit dated. One of pricest in Brum, pint of ale would take you back £3.10!

Ah.. Very good choice sir, The Old Joint Stock.. Most Northerly Fuller's pub. Converted from bank to pub. Two floors with bar in centre of the room. Beautiful ornate decor. Do sell Fullers ESB, London Pride, Fullers porter plus others. Beware: pub wont admit you if you wearing boots, football shirts or caps. When you finished ur drink, go to beer garden at back, go through the gate and enter door front of you.. The Wellington awaits you.

This is my favourite pub in whole of Brum.. 15 ales on sale.. yes you heard it right! You can bring your own food inside pub. Look out for resident cat!

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37946/

Other pubs worth seeking out in area is..

Old Contemptibles (Behind Snow Hill Station) http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37755/

Shakespeare, Lower Temple St

Not far from New St station. Nice pub with couple of real ales with Timothy Taylor regular fixture. Gets packed after 5pm as workers finishing their work. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55025/

Oh on 1st Dec.. we will cross path as I am going to Kidderminster via Birmingham!

Old Royal
    Never liked Old Royal. Its decor is somewhat shocking by standards in City Centre.

How about Tap & Spile (Gas St) off Broad Street. Great Boozer with mirco brewery ales on sale.

EDIT: How I could forget The Prince of Wales (Cambridge St)?! Hidden behind Symphony Hall on Broad St. Had pleasant chat with landlord, even offered me free tasting for every ale on sale! Plenty of real ales on ale. Proper boozer for drinkers. Shame about the location.
    Last edited by hopwas; 26-11-2009 at 13:50. Reason: Forget to add excellent pub