Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More phonery

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Now i know why i am a historian - what is all this?
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Iam starting to regret for not buying iphone instead of my current mobile..
    I think they are ridiculously expensive posing devices. That being said it is probably the lovliest piece of tech I have played with and is providing me with no end of amusement playing with all the apps. I am still firmly of the opinion that all iPhone users are w**kers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Sadly my trendy phone is Windows Mobile based, and so this is, to be blunt and only slightly polite, completely pointless for me

Still interested in those additional features if your interested in a test dummy?
    Ahhhh, but it is not for you Ed, it is for your potential customers! More realistically it is just a gimmick like much of the web at the moment (how are you getting on with Google Wave?) In this case though it is a quite fun one, watching all the pubs be displayed on the screen and all the information changing as you move around is surprisingly good if useless fun. All that being said, if phones get much more powerful, this could become a way of using our web site whilst visiting the pubs, at which point this suddenly becomes a bit more of something to worry about. We are as ever monitoring the usage of the app, we can see what areas people are requesting information for, and it should be intriguing. And we would love to use you as a test case when we start thinking about enhancing all this, assuming you are up for it at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Now i know why i am a historian - what is all this?
    THE FUTURE

Ok, the images in my first post are all screen grabs from my iPhone.

The first is taken with me facing The Bunch of Grapes pub using the application in 'Augmented Reality' mode. So you can see the pub in the middle as I could see it, the blurry radar disc at the top shows the nearest 50 pubs to my position, as I am in central Bristol it was getting a little overloaded and they are all near the center. The blobs towards the bottom of the image are indicators of pubs somewhere ahead of me, and the highlighted blob is the Bunch of Grapes pub for which we are showing additional information at the bottom. Frankily this is just the thing being a bit posey and showing off what it can do, and is pretty much no bl**dy use whatsoever as far as I can see.

Second image is taken from the map screen and is like our Google maps, except it is taken from the phone automatically working out where I am standing then getting a list of the pubs from Pubs Galore, you can touch any of the pubs and get more information.

Third Image is a list of pubs in order of distance from me that is scrollable, again all information from Pubs Galore. From any of the points in this you can visit the Pubs Galore page for the pub all using the phone. In future we could make it so that you could then phone the pubs, which could be useful if you are in a town and trying to find the nearest inn/hotel with rooms.

As I say at the moment it is mostly just poser value I think, but I think things are going to evolve that way, and it is another thing to promote the PG site on.
    Last edited by Conrad; 20-11-2009 at 22:14. Reason: Added a smiley

Spritzer Swallower

We never drink any other Tea but Yorkshire and I always take their Teabags with me on holiday,comes in handy when in the Caribbean when there is no beer as such!!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

There is no way I am going to try and come up with a site whose acronym is Y.O.R.K.S.H.I.R.E.

I hope you took the tins of baked beans as well!

I've just downloaded layar and the pubsgalore bit looks really useful.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Did I say 'really useful'? I meant fantastic!!!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

It hasn't proved very popular so we haven't really updated it, but I was thoroughly impressed with it.

Maybe we should revisit it at some point and see if we could tie it more tightly into the site.

Maybe this site should plug it a bit more. I see that the best guesses are greyed out - which leads me to ask if we should be locating pubs even if they are in the correct position by default?

Also, if you do decide to revisit it maybe the blurb before launching could be a little more enticing. I think that mentioning corrections in the advertisement is probably not the best way to go. I'm sure a few of the wordsmiths on here could lend a hand!
    Last edited by Strongers; 11-06-2011 at 00:10.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Probably nothing to do with this, bur we have new HTC Wildfire phones, and I wondered if there was a shortcut or app of any sort to get pubs galore site quickly. Took ages in St Austell yesterday trying to locate the pubs and maps by starting from google to get the site, then move on from there to find what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Probably nothing to do with this, bur we have new HTC Wildfire phones, and I wondered if there was a shortcut or app of any sort to get pubs galore site quickly. Took ages in St Austell yesterday trying to locate the pubs and maps by starting from google to get the site, then move on from there to find what I wanted.
    This is what pubsgalore does on the layar app. All the pubs in the local area are displayed and there is a quick link to this site.