Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Few Corrections (Well more than few!)

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galore Admin View Post

If Coleshill [URL="http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?t=492"]can come up with a system that clearly tells me what a Town
    To be 'a town', a settlement was required to have a market charter, and i can tell you that King John granted such a charter to Coleshill in 1207 - not one of his better known charters to be fair (Liverpool perhaps being so).

I trust this will not require a major re-write, Conrad. If so, sorry
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    To be 'a town', a settlement was required to have a market charter, and i can tell you that King John granted such a charter to Coleshill in 1207 - not one of his better known charters to be fair (Liverpool perhaps being so).

I trust this will not require a major re-write, Conrad. If so, sorry
    At last someone on my side!

I know it is in air whether Coleshill is Town or not but I know Coleshill is a town..

Conrad's ruling on town's status based on UK Postal Towns is bit pain in ass (sorry Conrad! )

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I await Conrad's F*** Off, Soupy
    MILD:

I await Conrad's F*** Off, Soupy
    Iam sweating on Conrad's response... get me full of riot gear!!!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

To be 'a town', a settlement was required to have a market charter, and i can tell you that King John granted such a charter to Coleshill in 1207
    And back in 1207 Coleshill was a town on Pubs Galore, now in 2009, it is still a town, but sadly not a postal town. Although if it helps we do recognise that Liverpool is now a City (which is happily also a postal town so we don't hold its City status against it).

We use postal towns as they are the recognised way of doing geography in UK, if you look at Coleshill on Wikipedia it clearly states the Post town is Birmingham. It means we can easily check if the listings are correct on Yell, Thomson Local, and Royal Mail sites as all these use the Postal Towns.

Bottom line, I am not sure how making Coleshill a top level entry makes PG more usable? We have a consistent system, live with it or suggest a better consistent system.

And I have just realised you 2 snarky gits have posted whilst I was writing this reply. I hate you both and beat you with some 's

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    And I have just realised you 2 snarky gits have posted whilst I was writing this reply. I hate you both and beat you with some 's
    Who is the 2 "snarky gits" of u speaking?

And back in 1207 Coleshill was a town on Pubs Galore, now in 2009, it is still a town, but sadly not a postal town. Although if it helps we do recognise that Liverpool is now a City (which is happily also a postal town so we don't hold its City status against it).

We use postal towns as they are the recognised way of doing geography in UK, if you look at Coleshill on Wikipedia it clearly states the Post town is Birmingham. It means we can easily check if the listings are correct on Yell, Thomson Local, and Royal Mail sites as all these use the Postal Towns.

Bottom line, I am not sure how making Coleshill a top level entry makes PG more usable? We have a consistent system, live with it or suggest a better consistent system.
    Come on Conrad.. Town is a Town.. you cannot change its status. Its like calling London as town instead of City. Or your own Bristol as "Village" instead of City. How would you feel about it? (no offence instead)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Come on Conrad.. Town is a Town..
    Show me a list of UK towns? A town is just where a parish council decides to call itself a town.

Show me a list of UK towns? A town is just where a parish council decides to call itself a town.
    how about this.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_England then scroll down to "C"

Oh god... I dont know why I care about Coleshill while it is not even in my own home county!

Sorry Conrad.. I know it getting bit personal but all I wanted is point out my reasons.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

So are you saying that we should list everything in that Wikipedia list of designated towns in 1974 as a prominent listing on Pubs Galore and none of them should be shown as potential districts of another town?

I have never said that Coleshill is not a town, I have said it is not a Postal Town, and that we only list Postal Towns as key areas in a county.