Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: N4 (Crouch Hill?) pub recommendations

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default N4 (Crouch Hill?) pub recommendations

Lifted this from the corrections forums so that it will be seen by more people, it is a request from sheffield hatter.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter
    By the way, I only came across these because I've been desperately trying to find a half-decent pub in this part of London (between Hornsey and Caledonian Road) where I can meet my brother for a drink on Monday night. We're both in London at the same time for only a few hours (he from France and me from Yorkshire). Steve C has reviewed a huge number of pubs around here and they're nearly all pretty dreadful! These two looked as though one or other might suit, so thanks for the reviews, Steve. If anyone's got any better ideas, all suggestions will be gratefully received (before 4pm Monday 28th February, please).

Steve C is a good judge - even the good pubs are awful. I avoid the area unless absolutely necessary. I have never been there but the Oakdale Arms http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25441/ is probably the best known one in the area (regularly advertised in the London Drinker mah) and is due to close for good on March 19th although recent reports don't do it many favours.

If you can stretch to Kentish Town then the Southampton Arms http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23788/ Junction Tavern http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54420/ and the Pineapple http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23784/ are all close to each other and worth a visit.

It's a year and a half since I visited any of these but if you are restricted to this area by time constraints I would consider the Garden Ladder, Old Ale Emporium and Salisbury Hotel on Green Lanes.

Edit: The Stapleton is more of a football pub and will be quiet on Monday evening as the Stoke v West Brom game isn't much of a draw. The Old Dairy is a reasonable pub, but if it was moved to Islington it wouldn't look out of place.
    Last edited by Strongers; 25-02-2011 at 19:41.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Thanks Conrad for moving my request to the apprpriate part of the forum, and thans to Roger B and Strongers for the suggestions.

I've been to the Southampton and the Junction, as they're not far from where my mother lives. My problem on Monday is that I am staying in Barnsbury and my brother in Hornsey, so I was looking for somewhere reasonably easy to get to from either direction. The Old Ale Emporium may be the one, but obviously London's trains, and buses weren't designed with our needs in mind, so it still looks a difficult journey.

So we may decide that it's just as easy for both of us to go into the centre and try out the Harp in Chandos Place. There shouldn't be any doubts about quality there!

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    So we may decide that it's just as easy for both of us to go into the centre and try out the Harp in Chandos Place. There shouldn't be any doubts about quality there!
    No Will, but with it being so tiny you won't be able to get through the door, for weeks to come, after winning POTY.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    you won't be able to get through the door, for weeks to come, after winning POTY.
    Harp pretty rammed when we were there last Weds - ended up drinking in back alley and, whisper it quietly, a fairly uninspiring ale selection for the national victor.
    If you were heading toward town, maybe jump off a little earlier at Angel & try Old Fountain?
    My only experience of the Old Ale Emporium wasn't successful with just 2 regionals on offer from 4 pumps, but I was quite enamoured with the Garden Ladder that day (mini-fest was on) - not traditional pub, but friendly, chatty & decent beer.

If you're going into town I'd give the Harp a try being pub of the year and all that. If it is to busy the Salisbury is just around the corner and it is well worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    ...with it being so tiny you won't be able to get through the door, for weeks to come, after winning POTY.
    Good point!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    ... maybe jump off a little earlier at Angel & try Old Fountain?
    Thanks for the idea.
    Come On You Hatters!

The http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22064/ Lamb and Flag is also worth a visit and the Chandos is worth a go if you're a Sam Smiths fan. Both around the corner from the Harp and Salisbury - gives you a few options if any are packed or not to your liking