Ads not shown when logged in
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Micro Pub

This Space For Hire

Here's a conundrum....

This place https://twitter.com/bottlesbooks?lang=en opened recently at the bottom of my road as a bottle shop. I've subsequently come back from holiday to now find they serve beer but class themselves as a Tasting Room and have expanded into next door as main room and original shop as storage. So is it a Micropub which I think it may be to an extent but beer is served from taps built into the wall so keg/cask? I'm not sure what it needs to be. After speaking to the owner on the way back from my local and popping in for a 2/3 pint he called it a Tasting Shop.

Whatpub haven't caught up with the changes so may email my contact to let them know of the changes.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/AVN/1220/bottles-books-bristol

So add it, which I think should be, but call it a micropub and annoy Aqualung and Mr & Mrs Real Ale Ray? Although I think the opening times may be consistent as per link above as I was delayed in making my enquires with the owner as he was putting the tables and chairs back inside after we'd had a conversation about underage drinking pre 2000 and how it shaped us as men and trying to boot me out at 9pm...
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 28-07-2018 at 20:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    To be honest, I would accept Micropuby what ever you or Real Ale Ray (in truth, Mrs Real Ale) said about a micropub as you care more and visit more. I did one in Ironbridge today not reviewed by either of you, I thought it ticked the boxes but was also a craft beer place - so all i can do is say what i think (also did the new one in Wolverhampton!). I think with a ticklist of choices it comes down to whoever reviews it last and if they want to argue the toss - i dont, i dont score pubs etc as they will be seen differently by others and am not as scathing as perhaps i could or should be (other than the odd comment!)
    I agree with you entirely but the only way to have an accessible list is to maintain the button on this site, albeit with all the pitfalls and grief involved! I'm glad you liked the Keg and Comfort although it's a poor choice of name for a micropub! It's one I will be going back to.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Mrs Ale here, had quite enough of micropubs after going all the way to Burslem yesterday to visit Johny's Micropub, and finding the dreaded closed sign on the door. Of course there was no note on the door to let people know, other than it was supposed to be open at 12. Chatting to the barman in the Bull's Head across the road, he told us it's been closed all week :

Another annoying thing about micros is they might say open at 3pm on their site, you get all the way there and there's a note on the door open at 5pm...rant over
    Opening hours are the curse of the micropub! I'm surprised you javen't come unstuck before.
    It sounds like Johny is on holiday, he probably smashed the hotel door in with an axe and declared "Here's Johny!".
    Last edited by Aqualung; 28-07-2018 at 22:23.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Here's a conundrum....

This place https://twitter.com/bottlesbooks?lang=en opened recently at the bottom of my road as a bottle shop. I've subsequently come back from holiday to now find they serve beer but class themselves as a Tasting Room and have expanded into next door as main room and original shop as storage. So is it a Micropub which I think it may be to an extent but beer is served from taps built into the wall so keg/cask? I'm not sure what it needs to be. After speaking to the owner on the way back from my local and popping in for a 2/3 pint he called it a Tasting Shop.

Whatpub haven't caught up with the changes so may email my contact to let them know of the changes.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/AVN/1220/bottles-books-bristol

So add it, which I think should be, but call it a micropub and annoy Aqualung and Mr & Mrs Real Ale Ray? Although I think the opening times may be consistent as per link above as I was delayed in making my enquires with the owner as he was putting the tables and chairs back inside after we'd had a conversation about underage drinking pre 2000 and how it shaped us as men and trying to boot me out at 9pm...
    It's not likely to annoy me as I'm losing the will to live over this subject! I think it's reasonable to say that if they don't have a cask ale then they are not a micropub. It doesn't sound like this one is even claiming to be one. If there's doubt over a venue and they are not claiming to be a micropub then the easy answer is to say it isn't one! How did you cope with the 2/3 glasses?

This Space For Hire

I was over egging a pudding I think slightly awaiting a response and yours seems very constructive. It serves beer doesn't claim Micropub but some may think it could be one. It's a place open seemingly 9 hours a day, which is longer than the Micropub 100m further up the road from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    How did you cope with the 2/3 glasses?
    Regarding 2/3 pints my original quest was 1 pint of draught lager/beer where served in 1996 but times are/have changed now in 2018 and any pump which serves wet stuff in a glass needs to be embraced over bottle only which I still won't venture into and purchase a drink from.

A Millennial probably doesn't even know what a pint is anyway so I'm old school carrying my Begbie glass around in hope of finding what really was a pub years ago out of the newer additions.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 28-07-2018 at 22:45.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    It's a place open seemingly 9 hours a day, which is longer than the Micropub 100m further up the road from my house.
    That's the one thing I'm waiting for, a proper reasonably priced micropub to open near me. Apart from SE London (and I'm sure most people that live there would say they are in Kent) micropubs just haven't taken off. I've no idea why that is as there are huge swathes of London suburbia where the only choice is a rubbish barn or if you're lucky a JDW. There seems to be loads of new or old shop premises available.

This Space For Hire

They don't seem to have caught on in West London either.Only two and they are as if not more expensive as the other pubs.Got caught for £5 a pint for a 4.4 beer brewed on the premises (with mushrooms).Told the owner I would not have bought it if I had realised the price.Clearly marked prices so my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    They don't seem to have caught on in West London either.Only two and they are as if not more expensive as the other pubs.Got caught for £5 a pint for a 4.4 beer brewed on the premises (with mushrooms).Told the owner I would not have bought it if I had realised the price.Clearly marked prices so my fault.
    It should have been magic mushrooms at that price! Over 25 years ago now I did hear of someone who had brewed some magic mushroom wine. It was in Wales (where else?)!!!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It should have been magic mushrooms at that price! Over 25 years ago now I did hear of someone who had brewed some magic mushroom wine. It was in Wales (where else?)!!!
    They were magic mushroom for the owner.Increased his profit margin I would imagine.Know a guy who grows then .Think its legal to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Know a guy who grows then .Think its legal to do so.
    I don't know if it's legal but I do know like any other mushroom they grow in the wild especially in wet places like Wales where it's always raining!